AREA – International Programmes & Advocacy
REFERENT – Head of Sub Saharan Africa Unit
PLACE OF WORK – Zomba/Blantyre (to be confirm) district (Malawi)
CSP LEVEL – Level 3 – the responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people
GROSS SALARY – 48.000-54.000 Euro/year according to the level of expertise and skills
INTRODUCTION TO SAVE THE CHILDREN
Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organisation for children.
OUR VISION is a world in which every child attains the right to survival, protection, development and participation.
OUR MISSION is to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children, and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives
Save the Children Italia (SC IT) was created as an ONLUS in 1998 and is now a prominent member of Save the Children International.
SAVE THE CHILDREN’S VALUES
ACCOUNTABILITY: We take personal responsibility for using our resources efficiently, achieving measurable results, and being accountable to supporters, partners and, most of all, children.
AMBITION: We are demanding of ourselves and our colleagues, set high goals and are committed to improving the quality of everything we do for children.
COLLABORATION: We respect and value each other, thrive on our diversity, and work with partners to leverage our global strength in making a difference for children.
CREATIVITY: We are open to new ideas, embrace change, and take disciplined risks to develop sustainable solutions for and with children.
INTEGRITY: We aspire to live to the highest standards of personal honesty and behavior; we never compromise our reputation and always act in the best interests of childre n.
To finance our work we depend on the support of the general public, volunteers, the corporate sector, governments and international donor agencies.
CHILD SAFEGUARDING POLICY
At Save the Children Italy we are committed to the safeguarding and protection of children in our work. Save the Children believes that a child or young person should never experience abuse of any kind. We have a responsibility to work in a way that promotes the welfare of children and protects them from harm. Our Organization has a zero tolerance approach to any harm to or exploitation of a child by any of our staff, representatives or partners. Save the Children expects the highest standards of behavior from all its staff when dealing with children. Those who are representing Save the Children must adhere to the Child Safeguarding Policy, both in their private and professional lives
Save the Children Italy will do everything possible to ensure that only those who are suitable to work with children are recruited to work for us.
This position is responsible for leading the implementation of a 12-month (started in Sept 2018) food security emergency program to cater for the needs of thousands vulnerable households in Zomba/Blantyre District in Malawi. The project will be co financed by the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and will be implemented by Save the Children Italy in partnership with Save the Children International in Malawi.
This position ensures quality project management, operational planning, financial and grants management, documentation, staff management, and representation of the project in line with donor and internal Save the Children standards and procedures. The Project Manager will ensure that program interventions, are strategic in terms of SCI overall strategies and effective in meeting project goals and objectives. S/he will be responsible for ensuring that all program resources are engaged in a timely manner and that implementation moves forward according to plans.
- Project Management
– Oversee the implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (I-MFA) funded project, ensuring management in accordance with Save the Children International program criteria and standards.
– Monitoring of financial and activities progress of the project, identification and design of potential project adjustments from the grant agreements (in coordination and to be approved by SC Italy and Country Director, and in consultation with the donor agency).
– Ensures oversight and the capacity building support of partner organizations.
– Provide oversight and technical leadership in designing strategies, supporting on-going project implementation, and facilitating technical dialogue related to cross sectorial education and health projects implementation in Malawi.
– Ensures proper management of technical activities in coordination with Save the Children Italy Technical Advisor
- Operations Planning
– Provide overall leadership and management in creating short and long-range operational plans, which will lead to successful project implementation.
– Ensure that project staff effectively plans and delivers activities according to overall project implementation plan. This will include detailed annual activity and budget management, quarterly work and budget and procurement projections, which will be accompanied by appropriate cash flow needs analysis.
– Ensure compliance with SCs Child Safeguarding Policy, as well as Accountability and Child Participation practices throughout the projects’ activities.
- Finacial and Grant Management
– Responsible for the budget of the project. The detailed annual budget and corresponding project plan will be tracked as per Save the Children accounting systems and in accordance with grant agreement stipulations.
– Ensure that project accounting and financial systems are in place for the effective control of assets, funds, commodities, equipment and property, and will submit to SCIT all required financial reports in a timely and complete manner.
– Ensure that all donor’s accepted procurement procedures are in place and are strictly adhered to.
– Responsible for budget monitoring based on donor compliance and budget analysis and revision in line with project needs (budget amendments, project extension, notification letters etc..)
- Project Documentation and reporting
– Responsible for the completion of timely reports to SC Italy and to donor (as per agreement)
– Document and share best practices and lessons learned and more broadly assist with research design, implementation, evaluation and dissemination of best practices internally and externally.
– Supervise M&E and help creating project reporting systems with the overall goals to: (i) track critical project elements and activities and allows timely adjustments before they reach a critical stage and (ii) report outcomes and impacts to donors and Save the Children.
– Coordinate, trough Save the Children Italia, the delivery of the research part of the project
- Staff Management and Development
– Manage the Project team: define expectations, provide leadership and technical support needed, and evaluate direct reports regularly.
– Ensure that all staff understand and are able to perform their roles in line with the project and SCI structures.
– Ensure the recruitment, training, and promotion of staff as appropriate and ensure availability of appropriate professional development opportunities for staff.
– Incorporate staff development strategies and Performance Management Systems into team building process.
– Manage the performance of all staff project team through effective use of the Performance Management System including the establishment of clear, measureable objectives, ongoing feedback, periodic reviews and fair and unbiased evaluations; and coaching, mentoring and other developmental opportunities;
– Establish and maintain good relations with the donor representative in the country
– Coordinate and liaise with the local government when needed and represent the project and SC with NGOs, and other agencies involved in the relevant sector.
– Represent the project in policy and technical fora in Malawi and Share best practices and learning.
– Ad hoc support to engagement to various SC Italy donors in country
- Successful implementation of the project in line with donor and internal quality and compliance rules and processes.
- Delivery of all required reporting and closure of project.
- Implementation and monitoring of annual plans.
- Delivery of interim donor and internal reports.
- Identification and design of modifications requests to donor as needed,
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATION
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably an advanced degree in International Development studies, Political Science, Humanitarian Aid Studies or Agronomy.
- Demonstrated experience in project and financial management of humanitarian projects (minimum two years)
- Experience working in the Agriculture, Food Security and Livelihoods programs is required
- Experience working with Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs is preferable
- Knowledge of the Malawi local context is an asset
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing and negotiation
- Strong results orientation, with the ability to challenge existing mindsets
- Experience in solving complex issues through analysis, definition of a clear way forward, and ensuring stakeholder buy in
- Good working knowledge of Italian and English is mandatory
- Commitment to Save the Children values
SKILLS AND BEHAVIORS (OUR VALUES IN PRACTICE):
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Sets team accountability standards for holding team to account for efficient use of resources and the delivery of Save the Children’s Theory of Change
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and team members), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take calculated risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
- Commitment to Save the Children values
- Italian (or EU) National
Info su Save the Children Italia Onlus
Noi di Save the Children crediamo che ogni bambino meriti un futuro. In Italia e nel resto del mondo lavoriamo ogni giorno per dare ai bambini ciò che ognuno di loro merita: l’opportunità di nascere e crescere sani, di ricevere un’educazione e di essere protetti. Quando scoppia un’emergenza, e i bambini sono i più vulnerabili, siamo tra i primi ad arrivare e fra gli ultimi ad andare via. Ci assicuriamo che i loro bisogni vengano soddisfatti e la loro voce ascoltata. Miglioriamo concretamente la vita a milioni di bambini, compresi quelli più difficili da raggiungere. Save the Children dal 1919 lotta per salvare la vita dei bambini e garantire loro un futuro, a ogni costo.
I NOSTRI VALORI IN PRATICA
Trasparenza: Siamo personalmente responsabili nell’utilizzare le nostre risorse in modo efficiente e adottiamo il massimo livello di trasparenza nei confronti dei donatori, dei partner e, più di ogni altro, dei bambini.
Ambizione: Siamo esigenti con noi stessi e con i nostri colleghi, stabiliamo obiettivi ambiziosi e ci impegniamo per migliorare la qualità di tutto ciò che facciamo per i bambini.
Collaborazione: Perseguiamo il rispetto reciproco, valorizziamo le diversità e lavoriamo con i partner unendo le nostre forze a livello globale per migliorare la vita dei bambini.
Creatività: Siamo aperti a nuove idee, ci adoperiamo per il cambiamento e siamo pronti ad assumerci rischi per sviluppare soluzioni sostenibili per e con i bambini.
Integrità: Lavoriamo aspirando sempre al massimo livello di onestà morale e comportamentale; non compromettiamo mai la nostra reputazione e agiamo sempre nel superiore interesse dei bambini.