This position is responsible for leading the implementation of the three year project “Para Todas as Crianças – Integrated approache to inclusive early child development in Gaza Province, Mozambique” (Approccio integrato ed inclusivo per lo sviluppo della prima infanzia nella Provincia di Gaza, Mozambico). The project is co financed by the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and is implemented by Save the Children Italy in partnership with Save the Children Mozambique in Gaza Province (Limpopo, Chongoene e Manjacaze districts).
This position ensures quality project management, operational planning, financial and grants management, documentation, staff management, and representation of the project in line with donor and internal Save the Children standards and procedures. The Project Manager will ensure that program interventions, are strategic in terms of SCI overall strategies and effective in meeting project goals and objectives. S/he will be responsible for ensuring that all program resources are engaged in a timely manner and that implementation moves forward according to plans.
- Oversee the implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (I-MFA) funded “Para Todas as Crianças” project, ensuring management in accordance with Save the Children International program criteria and standards.
- Monitoring of financial and activities progress of the project, identification and design of potential project adjustments from the grant agreements (in coordination and to be approved by SC Italy and Country Director, and in consultation with the donor agency).
- Ensures oversight and the capacity building support of partner organizations.
- Provide oversight and technical leadership in designing strategies, supporting on-going project implementation, and facilitating technical dialogue related to cross sectorial education and health projects implementation in Mozambique.
- Ensures proper management of technical activities in coordination with Reggio Children and GNUCOOP.
- Provide overall leadership and management in creating short and long-range operational plans, which will lead to successful project implementation.
- Ensure that project staff effectively plans and delivers activities according to overall project implementation plan. This will include detailed annual activity and budget management, quarterly work and budget and procurement projections, which will be accompanied by appropriate cash flow needs analysis.
- Ensure compliance with SCs Child Safeguarding Policy, as well as Accountability and Child Participation practices throughout the projects’ activities.
Financial and Grant Management
- Responsible for the budget of the project. The detailed annual budget and corresponding project plan will be tracked as per Save the Children accounting systems and in accordance with grant agreement stipulations.
- Ensure that project accounting and financial systems are in place for the effective control of assets, funds, commodities, equipment and property, and will submit to SCIT all required financial reports in a timely and complete manner.
- Ensure that all donor’s accepted procurement procedures are in place and are strictly adhered to.
- Responsible for budget monitoring based on donor compliance and budget analysis and revision in line with project needs (budget amendments, project extension, notification letters etc..)
Project Documentation and reporting
- Responsible for the completion of timely reports to SC Italy and to donor (as per agreement and per donor’requests; in italian)
- Document and share best practices and lessons learned and more broadly assist with research design, implementation, evaluation and dissemination of best practices internally and externally.
- Supervise M&E and help creating project reporting systems with the overall goals to: (i) track critical project elements and activities and allows timely adjustments before they reach a critical stage and (ii) report outcomes and impacts to donors and Save the Children.
- Coordinate, trough Save the Children Italia, the technical support of Reggio Children to the project, the study visit of project beneficiaries to Reggio Children in Italy and the delivery of the pilot database in coordination with GNUCOOP.
Staff Management and Development
- Manage the Project team: define expectations, provide leadership and technical support needed, and evaluate direct reports regularly.
- Ensure that all staff understand and are able to perform their roles in line with the project and SCI structures.
- Ensure the recruitment, training, and promotion of staff as appropriate and ensure availability of appropriate professional development opportunities for staff.
- Incorporate staff development strategies and Performance Management Systems into team building process.
- Manage the performance of all staff project team through effective use of the Performance Management System including the establishment of clear, measureable objectives, ongoing feedback, periodic reviews and fair and unbiased evaluations; and coaching, mentoring and other developmental opportunities;
- Establish and maintain good relations with the donor representative in the country
- Coordinate and liaise with the local government when needed and represent the project and SC with NGOs, and other agencies involved in the relevant sector.
- Represent the project in policy and technical fora in Mozambique and Share best practices and learning.
- Ad hoc support to engagement to various SC Italy donors in country
- Successful implementation of the project in line with donor and internal quality and compliance rules and processes.
- Delivery of all required reporting and closure of project.
- Implementation and monitoring of annual plans.
- Delivery of interim reports to the donor and internal reports (weekly update and monthly brief reports).
- Identification and design of modifications requests to donor as needed,