Position Title: Project Manager Akkar, L1
Line manager: Deputy Country Director Program (DCDP)
Duty station: Qobayat with regular travels to projects areas and Beirut office
Starting date: February 2021
Contract: 12 months
Deadline: 28 January 2021
We World-GVC, recently constituted from the merger of two NGOs, is an Italian secular and independent organization working since 1971 in international cooperation and humanitarian aid. Present in 29 countries with 128 projects, We World-GVC operates in the following areas of assistance: human rights (gender equality, prevention and combating violence against children and women, migration), humanitarian aid (prevention, emergency relief and rehabilitation), food security, access to water, health and hygiene, education, global citizenship education, quality teaching and international volunteering. We World-GVC works mostly with girls, boys, women and youth, actors of change in every community for a fairer and more inclusive world. Supports people overcoming emergencies and guarantees a life with dignity, opportunities and a better future through human and economic development programs, in the framework of the 2030 Agenda. Joining the We World-GVC team means being part of the development of a dynamic organisation where the contribution of each staff member is promoted and valued, working together towards the collective achievement of shared goals and vision.
The Project Manager will be the responsible of the management of the project “Decent work for All: temporary job opportunities, social stability and environmental care of vulnerable municipalities of the region of Akkar” funded by AICS and implemented by WW-GVC. The project aims to mitigate the economic and social consequences of Syrian crisis on most vulnerable groups through activities of Cash for Work focused on the environmental care in the municipalities of Mazaraa Jabal Akroum.
The project intends to work with the five municipalities and the SDCs of Akroum through Cash for Work activities that will enroll the most vulnerable Lebanese and refugee population (women and men). The initiative will both improve the access to income of workers involved and their families and increase the effectiveness of municipal services for the inhabitants of the selected municipalities thanks to the implemented activities.
The project will encompass two results:
- Increase the income of the most vulnerable Lebanese and refugee population in the five municipalities of the Union of Maazarat Jabal Akroum.
- Improve the access to public services in favour of Lebanese and refugee population of the five municipalities of the Union of Maazarat Jabal Akroum (solid waste management and environmental care).
Main tasks and responsibilities
The Project Manager will be responsible for the successful implementation of the project, providing guidance to the project team in achieving the agreed goals within in the respect of time, quality and budget standards.
- Direct responsibility for the planning, implementation and management of the project activities, ensuring accurate and timely reporting according to WeWorld-GVC and donor requirements;
- Implement approved project plans (including the establishment of milestones);
- Provide supervision, guidance, coordination and monitoring of the project staff, ensuring clarity over project plans and priorities, encouraging effective team;
- Support the MEAL department in the project monitoring activities and project evaluations exercise assisting in the analysis of the results and assessing the project impact and its effective use of the resources;
- Supervise quality and transparency of the data reported;
- Provide the Deputy Country Director Program with regular action plans and project updates advising of any deviations from the plan;
- Other tasks as requested by the Deputy Country Director Program.
Coordination and Representation:
- Develop and maintain appropriate, regular, transparent and supportive communication structures with the assigned project staff;
- Ensure relations with communities and local government, in coordination with the Security and Liaison Officer;
- Establish relations with other NGOs and relevant stakeholders (e.g. beneficiaries, community leaders, local and national government officials, UN agencies and other NGOs), with the objective of ensuring good cooperation and partnerships;
- Ensure constant and cooperative relation with Donors;
- Participate in coordination meetings and working groups, representing WeWorld-GVC and reporting to the Deputy Country Director Program;
- Participate in internal coordination meetings;
- Participate in the monthly PM meeting called by AICS.
- Lead and motivate the project team by building a collaborative work environment;
- Ensure proactive attitude and inputs towards identification of training for staff;
- Ensure that behavioral expectations of team members are established;
- Ensure that performance reviews are conducted;
- Participate in the recruitment process and training of team staff as required by project plans.
Manage the project budgets ensuring all expenses are according to the established budget and according to the organizational financial management standards, including accountability and good governance, in strict collaboration with WeWorld- GVC Administrator in Lebanon and in the HQ;
- Ensure that all expenditures comply with WeWorld-GVC and donor Financial Rules and Regulations.
Reporting and Accountability:
- Prepare activity / project report and analysis of the data collected on a regular basis or upon request;
- Provide regular reports and updates as defined to the Deputy Country Director Program on the activities;
- Actively participate in the development of project proposal whenever required by the Deputy Country Director Program.
Essential Qualifications, Skills and Competencies
Bachelor’s degree in social sciences, agriculture, economics, international affairs or related field required.
At least three years of professional humanitarian/development experience.
- Demonstrable program/technical and budget management skills, planning, reporting, monitoring and evaluation skills.
- Proven experience in grants management.
- Experience in donor reporting and proposal development.
- Excellent relationship-building, interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively represent We World in consortium, clusters and with donors.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Sound verbal and written communication skills, with ability to express ideas and concepts clearly and persuasively with senior internal and external stakeholders.
- Proven ability to design and lead training engagements with staff and partners to enhance skills and adapt to changing program demands.
- Positive attitude to work, self-reflective, motivated, inspired, collegial.
- Proven ability to work well in and promote teamwork, thrive in a multi-cultural environment, be flexible and handle pressure with professional grace.
- Fluency in spoken and written Italian and English is required.
- Full professional competency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
Desirable skills and competences
- Experience with cash transfer programming and market-based emergency responses.
- Livelihoods experience.
- Experience in conflict resolution.