INTERSOS is an independent non-profit humanitarian organization committed to assist the victims of natural disasters and armed conflicts. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, and respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable and unprotected people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Protection Project Manager, Refugees and Asylum Seekers
Duty Station: Aden, Yemen
Starting date: 01/05/2018
Contract duration: until 31st of December 2018
Reporting to: Head of Mission
Supervision of: PM assistant, activity coordinators Basateen, Kharaz and Mukalla, community engagement coordinator, self-reliance coordinator, protection monitor coordinator, ASR coordinator, M&E team and IMU
General context of the project
This programme provides for a comprehensive case management package for SGBV, CP and PwSN that comprises identification, counseling, cash assistance, legal assistance, internal and external referrals and follow-up. The activities also include alternative case management options for unaccompanied and separated children (UASC), community mobilization and engagement (including capacity building of local NGOs and refugees committees), and self-reliance activities (TVET and life skills).
Finally, the programme entails support for registration and documentation and assisted spontaneous return (ASR). The programme also includes protection monitoring, legal assistance and detention monitoring for the South more broadly: covering Aden, Abyan, Taiz, Al-Dhalea, Shabwa, Lahj, Hadramout and Al Mahra.
The programme is implemented in Bassateen (Aden), Kharaz Camp (Lahij) and Mukalla & Sayoun (Hadramout).
General purpose of the position
The Project Manager (PM) is in charge of the implementation and the supervision of the activities of the project, and ensures timely and qualitative planning, implementation, reporting and monitoring/evaluation of INTERSOS activities in compliance with sector-specific SOPs, Sphere standards and good practices, code of conduct and ethical values chart.
The PM is responsible for an efficient financial management for the project in compliance with INTERSOS’ model and donor regulations, in addition to full oversight of the HR and logistics arrangements in cooperation with relevant departments.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Ensure the planning, implementation and monitoring/evaluation and set targets as included in the project description
- Provide an efficient financial management for the project in compliance with INTERSOS’ model and donor regulations
- Team management (about 150 staff, in addition to a set of 30/40 volunteers)
- Deliver quality project activity reports, including the findings in terms of impact/changes at the beneficiary level that has been achieved through the project
- Ensure activity implementation:
- Project kick-off and presentation/sharing of project with teams
- Review and prepare a detailed activities plan with team
- Agree and establish clear reporting and communication lines
- Organise trainings for the team
- Verification on the targeting of beneficiaries
- Ensure sector SOPs and guidelines are properly applied and adhered to
- Permanent on-job coaching of teams to work on quality in delivery
- Financial management and procurement:
- Prepare, monitor and implement financial and procurement plan
- Prepare weekly liquidity plan
- Be responsible for the approval of all purchases/contracting and budget line allocations
- Verify on a weekly basis the bookkeeping entries in the INTERSOS accounting spread sheets (PN): verify budget line allocations, budget expenditure status against actual delivery and the financial plan for the remainder project implementation period
- Ensure for all purchases/contracting of goods/services/supplies the correct UNHCR procurement guidelines are applied and properly documented (also for the procedures applied by the municipalities)
- Verify the list of expenditures prior to finalizing the interim and final financial reports
- Hold final responsibility for verification of all support documents
- Manage team and to provide relevant capacity building and on-job coaching to the project team:
- Manage and evaluate the performance of the project staff
- Conduct weekly and monthly meetings with the team to review the planning and discuss the main concerns to focus on for the upcoming period
- Ensure use of correct/relevant forms for assessments and reporting by the team
- Ensure fluent chain of information/data transfer from field to Information Management Unit (IMU)
- Ensure timely processing of information/data by IMU and conduct coaching for teams on the analysis of the processed data
- Continuous/fast verification of data quality collected and received from field staff and processed by IMU
- Establish a participatory process to inform/develop relevant response strategies for conflict mitigation and enhanced social cohesion
- Undertake (if security situation allows) field visits to the centres to provide technical guidance and supervision to the team and to monitor the progress and quality of the different project activities
- Ensure timely and quality internal and external referral of most vulnerable cases
- Monitoring & evaluation:
- Ensure monitoring and verification for the targeting of beneficiaries by M&E team
- Applying a result-based management approach, monitor the project outcomes, in addition to the outputs and activities, including changes at the household and community level achieved through the project
- Ensure quality reporting on achievements through monthly and weekly planning presented against weekly and monthly performance reports containing clear quantitative and qualitative information related to the activities
- Deliver monthly timely, complete and qualitative a comprehensive project reporting (PAT – project appraisal tool) to the HoM
- Prepare ad hoc progress reporting for the donor and official required interim and final project reports
- Hold final responsibility for all support documents (means of verification) and general project documents
- Deliver regular communication products on the project to be used by the INTERSOS communication department in different outlets
- Coordination and representation:
- Conduct regular meetings with the donor representatives and facilitate field visits by donor missions (when security allows for)
- Establish and maintain positive and productive relationships with the local community leaders (when relevant and possible)
- Align as per guidelines provided by the HoM and help set strategies for INTERSOS in Yemen, particularly relevant to protection and refugees and asylum seekers
- Where and when possible and relevant, contribute to the coordination between the different project-teams for the projects in the South of Yemen.
- Proactively participate in protection cluster meetings and other relevant working groups for South Yemen, also relevant inter-sectorial coordination meetings at national level
- Ensure systematic information and update sharing with the INTERSOS protection coordinator and HOM
- Proposal Writing and assessment:
- Carry out assessments in the competence area to have a clear picture of the needs
- Contribute to proposal development related to the project he/she is implementing to guarantee the coverage of the project related needs and the continuity of the project activities avoiding gaps between projects
Required profile and experience
- MA in social sciences, law or related field
- Minimum 3 years relevant working experience in humanitarian project management with INGO, including direct financial management of project budget and supervision of the implementation of protection programming for refugees
- Prior experience working with UNHCR funded projects
- Demonstrated experience in staff supervision and remote management
- Strong experience with monitoring and accountability tools and systems, including set-up and management of reporting/complaints mechanisms
- Prior experience in working in complex emergency setting, involving displacement and armed conflict
- Strong experience in working with communities
- Excellent analytical skills, observation and analysis capacity
- Ability to ensure quick quality delivery in stressful environment
- Excellent ability to establish inter-personal relations and good negotiation skills
- Good knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) and other relevant software
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Arabic would be asset (read and written)
- Strong team spirit, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment
- Strategic vision and planning
- Very strong interpersonal skills: strong communication and diplomatic skills
- Practical and problem-solver
- Ability to cope with stress and a demanding working environment
- Readiness to commit and adhere to the values, mission and vision of INTERSOS
HOW TO APPLY:
For further information and to apply, follow the link below:
In case you encounter difficulties applying through INTERSOS’ platform, you can also apply by sending your CV, motivation letter and 2 references via email to [email protected] , with subject line: “SR-35-392 Protection Project Manager, Refugees and Asylum Seekers – Yemen“.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.
Effettua la registrazione/accesso per poterti candidare.
Info su INTERSOS
INTERSOS è un’organizzazione umanitaria senza fini di lucro, che opera a favore delle popolazioni in pericolo, vittime di calamità naturali e di conflitti armati. INTERSOS basa la sua azione sui valori della solidarietà, della giustizia, della dignità della persona, dell'uguaglianza dei diritti e delle opportunità per tutti i popoli, del rispetto delle diversità, della convivenza, dell'attenzione ai più deboli e indifesi.