Terms of reference
Job Title: Program Manager
Duty station: Malakal and Bentiu with frequent mission in all the projects area
Starting date: 01/07/2019
Contract duration: 6 months
Reporting to: Area Coordinator
Supervision of: National Field Staff
General context of the project
INTERSOS is present in South Sudan since 2006, starting its operations in the country from Bor, Jonglei State. INTERSOS central office for South Sudan is based in Juba and had several field bases in Jonglei State (Bor, Ayod, Nyirol, Uror, Akobo and Pibor), 1 in Western Equatoria (Yambio), 1 in Upper Nile State (Malakal), 1 in Unity State (Bentiu). After 2013 conflict, as field bases, INTERSOS started to operate within UNMISS PoCs in Juba, Bor, Bentiu and Malakal. In September 2014, however, INTERSOS has moved out from UNMISS base in Bor and has its own compound in town shared with other two INGOs.
The main areas of intervention are:
Protection: in particular prevention and response to GBV and Child Protection in Jonglei State and Upper Nile State. These activities are addressed to children, women, youth and men and involve case management, including psychosocial support, for Child Protection and GBV; referral and family tracking for unaccompanied minors. INTERSOS is also the Jonglei GBV sub-cluster Focal Point and since 2012 is leading the GBV response in the State and is active member of the Psycho Social Support Task Force;
Education: INTERSOS is one of the main partners of UNICEF within the country in promoting education as a part of emergency response. Since 2010 INTERSOS is leading the EiE Cluster in Jonglei, Unity and Upper Nile States and is the focal point agency in Jonglei for Education in Emergency interventions. The program covers the main areas affected by the conflict: Central Equatoria, Jonglei, Unity, Upper Nile and Western Equatoria States. The program includes both structural and non-structural interventions: construction/rehabilitation of learning spaces, kit distribution, training of teachers and PTA on children rights, psychological support and risk mitigation;
Shelter/NFIs: these activities involve assessment and identification of new IDPs, mainly in the most hard-to-reach areas within Jonglei, Unity and Upper Nile States, emergency kit distribution and kit use monitoring, and construction/rehabilitation of emergency shelter. Moreover since 2012 INTERSOS is the Jonglei State NFIs & ES Cluster Focal Point;
WASH: construction/rehabilitation of water facilities (wells, pipe schemes), rehabilitation of latrines, sanitation and hygiene promotion in Western Equatoria and Eastern Equatoria State.
Nutrition: Intersos is going to extend its humanitarian response in South Sudan to the Nutrition sector, as a direct consequence of the last famine crisis, which caused malnutrition among vulnerable population also in Equatoria where historically food procurement has never been an issue.
General purpose of the position
This position is aimed at ensuring the prompt and effective delivery of the the assigned Projects in Jonglei State (Upper Nile and Unity State) and other additional areas of expansion in case it is required. By the end of the assignment, the post holder is expected to have:
- Contributed to ensuring beneficiaries targeted by projects are accessing all the foreseen services;
- Ensured the technical quality of projects by paying particular attention to technical aspects of CP and Protection sector required;
- Managed all project logistics to ensure the achievement of projects’ activities;
- Managed all financial resources available to projects – ensuring sound documentation is in place for all procurements and internal and donor procedures are applied as applicable;
- Ensured data is collected to respond to all projects’ indicators in a timely fashion for interim and final reporting;·
- Ensured timely submission of all reports due at State level and contributed to country-level reporting (5Ws, interim and final reports);
- Support the national team in conducting needs assessment when required;· Support the national team in development of their skills, knowledge and capacities through training opportunities and on-the-job mentoring.
Main responsibilities and tasks
In particular, the Program Manager will focus on:
- Setting up and/or ensuring continuation of all the foreseen activities
- Developing and managing the implementation of/adherence to work plans and M&E plans
- Ensuring a sound monitoring of the project by producing, regularly updating and sharing – once in a month – the project appraisal tool (PAT)
- Providing technical support to projects’ staff
- Enhancing quality of implementation by training projects’ staff
- Managing all the financial resources allocated to projects, producing financial plans and cash forecasts and verifying budgets vs. actual on a weekly and monthly basis
- Managing all the logistical procedures, ensuring INTERSOS and donor requirements are met and proper documentation is collected and maintained
- Ensuring reports are properly produced and submitted to donors
- Developing budgets and project proposals for sector, in close coordination and under the supervision of the State Manager
- Ensuring 5W matrices are submitted to the X and Y State as per the agreed reporting schedule
- Taking part to projects’ meetings,called by donors and/or any relevant stakeholders, in close coordination and under the supervision of the Area Coordinator
- Recruiting national staff as required to achieve projects’ objectives
- Working with the administration department to ensure all administrative procedures are followed
- Updating personal details on file, accurate ToR for each staff member, payrolls etc;
Required profile and experience
- An advanced University Degree in Political Sciences, International Law, Social Sciences, Education, Psychology or significant professional experience in a relevant sector in lieu of formal credentials
- At least three years of relevant professional work experience in the humanitarian field as Project Manager and in at least one of the relevant technical disciplines (Protection, EiE, WASH, S/NFIs or preferablymore than one of them).
- Demonstrated experience in working in humanitarian emergency contexts.
- Demonstrated project management skills (financial management, human resources management, monitoring and evaluation techniques
- Interpersonal skills, strong communication and diplomatic skills
- Fluency in written and spoken English, good reporting and communication skills are required.
- Strong team spirit, comfortable in a multicultural environment
- Ability to deal with heavy work pressure
HOW TO APPLY:
For further information and to apply, follow the link below: https://www.intersos.org/posizioni-aperte/#intersosorg-vacancies/vacancy-details/5cab2826e38bca2fd412e28d/
In case you encounter difficulties applying through INTERSOS’ platform, you can also apply by sending your CV, motivation letter and 2 references via email to [email protected] , with subject line: “SR-41-1003 – Program Manager- South Sudan“.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.
Info su INTERSOS
INTERSOS è un’organizzazione umanitaria senza fini di lucro, che opera a favore delle popolazioni in pericolo, vittime di calamità naturali e di conflitti armati. INTERSOS basa la sua azione sui valori della solidarietà, della giustizia, della dignità della persona, dell'uguaglianza dei diritti e delle opportunità per tutti i popoli, del rispetto delle diversità, della convivenza, dell'attenzione ai più deboli e indifesi.