Job Title: Cultural Mediator
Duty Station: Rome – Intersos24
Starting date: 10/09/2018
Contract duration: 4 months
Reporting to: Responsible of Intersos24 Center and Medical Coordinator “Ambulatorio popolare INTERSOS24”
Supervision of: //
General context of the project
Rome remains a strategic stage in the journey of UASC in transit through Italy towards Northern Europe. The INTERSOS Mobile Team active in Rome observed the constant presence of unaccompanied and separated children (UASC) in transit through the capital. The majority of them are Eritrean and Sudanese. Moreover, several UASC, after being pushed back at the northern borders, decide to go back to Rome and wait there for the borders’ reopening. In Rome often UASC find shelter in emergency or informal urban settlements in order to avoid identification. These settlements are often linked to illegal activities (E.g. drug dealing, prostitution and informal labor), thus migrants staying there are highly vulnerable.
INTERSOS 24 Center is a nocturnal safe place for transiting UASC and vulnerable women with their children, situated in the outskirts of Rome, in the neighbourhood of Torre Spaccata. It also offers daytime activities, becoming a point of reference for the neighbourhood.
General purpose of the position
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Translate and mediate between the beneficiaries and the project staff;
- Mediate during psycho-social and sanitary dialogues and activities;
- Support the staff, especially the psychologist and the doctor, in the analysis of the needs and of the social, mental and health problems of the beneficiaries;
- Support to the activities aimed at orienting the beneficiaries on the Italian health care and social system;
- Partecipate in the main purpose of the project, i.e. advocacy about child protection and the right to health;
- lnterpret and assist the implementation of foreseen activities;
- Assume the duty of protecting confidential information about the beneficiaries.
Required profile and experience
- Secondary school diploma.
- Relevant professional experience in cultural mediation;
- Relevant professional experience in migration’s medicine (knowledge of the Italian legislation concerning health assistance to migrants; orientation to social and health services);
- Relevant professional experience in the field of mental health.
- Valid residence and work permit for Italy;
- Experience with other NGOs;
- Experience working with vulnerable populations and victims of violence (desirable).
- Tigrinya or French mother tongue;
- Good knowledge of English;
- Good knowledge of Italian;
- Knowledge of Arabic (desirable).
- Team work, intercultural sensitivity, flexibility;
HOW TO APPLY:
For further information and to apply, follow the link below: https://www.intersos.org/en/work-with-us/#intersosorg-vacancies/vacancy-details/5b6bff25ad47436d80ac4c9b/
In case you encounter difficulties applying through INTERSOS’ platform, you can also apply by sending your CV, motivation letter and 2 references via email to [email protected] , with subject line: “SR-01-660 – Cultural Mediator – Rome“.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.
Effettua la registrazione/accesso per poterti candidare.
Info su INTERSOS
INTERSOS è un’organizzazione umanitaria senza fini di lucro, che opera a favore delle popolazioni in pericolo, vittime di calamità naturali e di conflitti armati. INTERSOS basa la sua azione sui valori della solidarietà, della giustizia, della dignità della persona, dell'uguaglianza dei diritti e delle opportunità per tutti i popoli, del rispetto delle diversità, della convivenza, dell'attenzione ai più deboli e indifesi.