Job Title: PSS/GBV Specialist
Duty station: Maiduguri, with frequent mission on the ground in Borno – Ngala, Bama, Dikwa, Kukawa and Magumeri (LGA) – Yobe and Adamawa, Nigeria
Starting date: 01/04/2019
Contract duration: 24 months
Reporting to: Project Manager (Hierarchical), Protection Coordinator (Technical)
Supervision of: about 18 national staff
General context of the project
Since 2009, the Boko Haram driven crisis (herein, Armed Opposition Groups [AOGs]) has crippled north eastern Nigeria. The Borno State continues to be most the affected, with over 1.8 million internally displaced persons (IDPs) . Recent advances by the Nigerian Army and the Multinational Joint Task Force have improved humanitarian access in 26 of the 27 Local Government Areas (LGAs) in Borno but have also revealed the extent of the crisis. In newly accessible areas, basic infrastructure has been destroyed, essential services are non-existent, and most local governance systems are not functional.
In response to DFID strategy of protection and transition to development in North East Nigeria, INTERSOS is partner in an NGOs Consortium, lead by Street Child, to respond to the urgent protection need of the most vulnerable population. The project will provide integrated community-based protection services in 14 LGAs Northeast Nigeria for 45,000 women, men and children with acute protection needs, and build resilience through the development of more inclusive and sustainable national protection mechanisms.
In particular INTERSOS will focus on GBV prevention and response programme component, through a direct implementation approach of prevention and response, included PSS and case management in
Ngala, Bama, Dikwa, Kukawa and Magumeri (LGA), while it will be working with NNGO for capacity building , mentoring and monitoring to implement GBV survivors/GBV at risks identification, case management, prevention and awareness.
General purpose of the position
The PSS/GBV Specialist oversees the technical side of protection activities, carries out the project’s framework, ensuring compliance and operational quality.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Develop, and supervise protection activities implementation in a timely manner;
- Ensure adherence to workplans and M&E plans;
- Contribute to timely submission of relevant reports to the leading agency as per the agreed reporting schedule;
- Ensure data is collected regularly to respond to agreed indicators;
- Contribute to project proposals development for the GBV sector in Borno State, in close coordination with the technical team, protection focal points, under the supervision of the Coordination of INTERSOS Nigeria;
- Carry out rapid assessments to investigate programming opportunities inside Borno State;
- In close collaboration and under the supervision of the Protection Coordinator (PC), capacity building of INTERSOS in PSS and GBV sector to meet GBV and PSS minimum standards in emergency programs. This includes training and mentoring of INTERSOS staff;
- Provide technical support, insights for PSS and GBV activities and standards including via tools and methodologies to national and international staff;
- Guides the implementation of PSS programming with a focus on technical aspects and quality assurance through close monitoring, supervision, and training for national staff;
- Provide technical support to GBV cases documentation through GBVIMS forms/system;
- Contribute, under PC guidance, to strengthening INTERSOS Nigeria in the protection sector;
- In close collaboration and under the supervision of the Protection Coordinator; Ensure 5W matrices are submitted to the State Clusters per the agreed reporting schedule;
- In close collaboration and under the supervision of the Protection Coordinator; Represent the program with national authorities, non-state actors, UN agencies, NGOs, donors in Borno State and in Abuja;
- Execute managerial duties for national staff direct reports related to their employment life cycle (i.e hiring, training, performance management, coaching ..).
Required profile and experience
- Relevant degree in Psychology, social sciences, development studies, gender and/or women’s studies or other related field and/or or equivalent MHPSS/GBV working experience.
- Relevant working experience of at least 3 years and previous humanitarian experience;
- Previous experience in Nigeria and/or Western and Central Africa is an asset.
- Demonstrated proficiency in technical GBV case management and gender analysis. (including MHPSS PFA, GBVIMS);
- Good knowledge of the international standard on GBV and Protection;
- Strong Leadership and inter personal skills;
- Demonstrated organizational skills in highly complex emergency operations;
- Knowledge of communication strategies and techniques;
- Must be able to work independently while being a strong team player;
- Good knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Proficiency in English (conversation, reading and writing) required.
- Willingness to accept basic living standard and frequent field missions;
- Ability to deal with stress and demanding working environment;
- Readiness to commit and adhere to the values, mission and vision of INTERSOS.
HOW TO APPLY:
For further information and to apply, follow the link below:
In case you encounter difficulties applying through INTERSOS’ platform, you can also apply by sending your CV, motivation letter and 2 references via email to [email protected] , with subject line: “SR-49-672 – PSS/GBV Specialist – Nigeria”.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.
Info su INTERSOS
INTERSOS è un’organizzazione umanitaria senza fini di lucro, che opera a favore delle popolazioni in pericolo, vittime di calamità naturali e di conflitti armati. INTERSOS basa la sua azione sui valori della solidarietà, della giustizia, della dignità della persona, dell'uguaglianza dei diritti e delle opportunità per tutti i popoli, del rispetto delle diversità, della convivenza, dell'attenzione ai più deboli e indifesi.