INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference:
Job Title: Head of Base (HoB)
Duty Station: Maiduguri with missions on the coordination office in Abuja and on the field bases (Ngala, Bama, Dikwa, Monguno, Mobbar and Magumeri LGAs)
Starting date: ASAP
Contract duration: 31/12/2018
Reporting to: Head of Mission
Supervision of: 10 International staff
General context of the project
Since 2009, the Boko Haram insurgency has crippled north eastern Nigeria. Borno State continues to be most affected, with over 1.8 million internally displaced persons (IDPs). Recent advances by the Nigerian Army and the Multinational Joint Task Force have improved humanitarian access in 22 of the 27 Local Government Areas (LGAs) in Borno, but have also revealed the extent of the crisis. In newly accessible areas, basic infrastructure has been destroyed, essential services are non-existent, and most local governance systems are not functional.
In support to the UN-led coordinated humanitarian response in the region, INTERSOS is implementing more than 6 projects addressing critical gaps in health and nutrition, WASH, food security, shelter, Camp Coordination and Camp Management and protection services for a highly vulnerable population in the newly accessible host communities in the Local Government Areas (LGAs) of Ngala (Ngala-Gambaru), Bama (Banki) and Dikwa (Dikwa) Local Government Area (LGA), Borno State, Nigeria.
General purpose of the position
HoB Nigeria will oversee the Operations, Administrative, HR and Logistics units in Borno state, including Maiduguri,Ngala (Ngala-Gambaru), Bama (Banki) and Dikwa (Dikwa), ensuring operations quality, strategic programming and planning, ensuring strategic growth and strong external and internal representation and advocacy. S/he must be able to motivate and lead a diverse staff as well as effectively oversee operations, programs, budgets and partnerships.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Oversee the logistics, procurement, administration and HR operations in Borno State, aiming at improving the operations systems and processes.
- Manage accountability of Admin and Operations actions in Maiduguri base
- To support the security analysis and to support the HoM in updating the CPPs in Borno state.
- To support project field staff inMaiduguri,Ngala (Ngala-Gambaru), Bama (Banki) and Dikwa (Dikwa)in the optimal and efficient implementation of the projects.
- Coordinate with the technical staff and the PMs INTERSOS presence at the Borno State thematic cluster and Coordination meetings.
- Support HoM in Donor relations and representation in Borno State.
- Act as HoM during absence (breaks, leave, training, illness, etc.)
- Support the HoM on the promotion of accountability and commitment to INTERSOS charter and prevention on power of abuse.
- Support coordination of emergency interventions in Borno state.
Required profile and experience
- Relevant degree and/or equivalent management working experience.
- Relevant working experience of at least 3 years and previous Humanitarian experience.
- Strategic vision, leadership, people management, teamwork and flexibility, ability to work under pressure in a highly complex emergency context
- Excellent organizational skills in highly complex emergency operation
- Able to ensure quick quality delivery in stressful environment
- Very strong interpersonal skills: strong communication and diplomatic skills
- Practical and problem-solver
- Excellent ability to establish inter-personal relations and good negotiation skills
- Good knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Fully proficient in written and spoken English.
- Other languages an asset
- Ability to deal with stress and demanding working environment
- Readiness to commit and adhere to the values, mission and vision of INTERSOS
HOW TO APPLY:
For further information and to apply, follow the link below: https://www.intersos.org/posizioni-aperte/#intersosorg-vacancies/vacancy-details/59e611bed8c4c54e6d694e0a/
In case you encounter difficulties applying through INTERSOS’ platform, you can also apply by sending your CV, motivation letter and 2 references via email to [email protected] , with the subject line: “SR-49-239, Head of base – Nigeria”
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.
Effettua la registrazione/accesso per poterti candidare.
Info su INTERSOS
INTERSOS è un’organizzazione umanitaria senza fini di lucro, che opera a favore delle popolazioni in pericolo, vittime di calamità naturali e di conflitti armati. INTERSOS basa la sua azione sui valori della solidarietà, della giustizia, della dignità della persona, dell'uguaglianza dei diritti e delle opportunità per tutti i popoli, del rispetto delle diversità, della convivenza, dell'attenzione ai più deboli e indifesi.