Job Title: Project Manager Child Protection
Duty station: Agadez, Niger
Starting date: 01/02/2019
Contract duration: 12 months
Reporting to: Head of Mission
Supervision of: 10 National Staff
General context of the project
Niger has been always a country of transit for mixed migration flow going from Sub-Saharian countries to northern Africa or Europe. In the past two years the humanitarian situation has deteriorating due to worsening of the security in the neighbouring countries (Nigeria, Mali, Burkina Faso) and the increasing of the presence of armed extremist groups in the bordering areas causing massive displacement of the population and new influx of asylum seekers. Moreover, with the recent migration movements linked to Libya crisis and linked to the EU countries policies related to migrants, the country has started to be confronted also with major protection needs related to migrants and asylum seekers.
INTERSOS in collaboration with UNHCR is setting up a new operation in the country in order to strengthen protection and assistance to vulnerable refugees/asylum seekers in Agadez region. INTERSOS will start focusing its operations with a specific focus on child protection and education activities, with the aim of expanding its operations in the mixed migration and asylum seekers sector during 2019.
General purpose of the position
- The Child Protection Project Manager will be based in Agadez and he/she is is in charge of the implementation and the supervision of the activities of the project ensuring timely and qualitative planning, implementation, reporting and monitoring/evaluation of INTERSOS activities in compliance with sector specific SOPs, Sphere standards and good practices, code of conduct and ethical values chart.
- She/he is responsible for the managerial oversight and coordination of the UNHCR Project, including prevention and response child protection activities, including education activities, for children asylum seekers hosted in the centre humanitaire of Agadez.
- He/She will give technical advice and guidance to the local project team to ensure the quality of the implementation and the learning and capacity building of each staff member.
Specifically, the CP Project Manager will work under the direct supervision of the Head of Mission and will oversee the field national staff working in the center (eg. social worker, case manager, teachers etc).
Main responsibilities and tasks
General Project Management
- In charge of project management, including elaboration of work plan, financial and procurement plan and regular monitoring of progress through the INTERSOS internal project appraisal tool.
- Ensure for all purchases/contracting of goods/services/supplies the correct INTERSOS procurement guidelines are applied and properly documented, in close coordination with the admin-fin and logistics department
- Verify the list of expenditures prior to finalizing the interim and final financial reports
- Define efficient and effective operating processes required to ensure a proper management of the project activities.
- Ensure that all project activities are being implemented in line with INTERSOS’ internal policies, in particular several protection policies, at the same time respecting donor and cluster regulations as well as international humanitarian sector standards.
- Recruit national staff and conduct regular training and review sessions in order to build knowledge and skills and maximize their capacity ensuring quality protection services.
- Follow up and monitor field team detailed activities
- Monitor and provide objective feedback related to staff performance, including completing staff performance evaluations to promote growth and professional development.
- Review of regular financial and narrative reports from field team, ensuring financial compliance including budget management and correct accountability documentation.
- Prepare regular narrative donor reports including support in financial reports.
- Collect regular beneficiary stories using different participatory methods (FGDs, Case Studies, Most Significant Change Technique etc).
- Ensure quality reporting on achievements through daily short briefings, monthly and weekly planning presented against weekly and monthly performance reports containing clear quantitative and qualitative information related to the activities.
Child Protection Technical Support
- Prepare and conduct a range of training and workshop on CP related topics and SoPs for national project staff, partners and beneficiaries.
- Ensure the respect of core principles in case management services and the quality of focused PSS support through continuous mentoring of Case Workers and regular case meetings.
- Coordinate with local partners to establish and regularly update service maps for referrals.
- Facilitate a balanced mix of structured and unstructured PSS activities at the CFS and ensure a protective and nurturing environment for children.
- Organize community mobilization and social cohesion activities using different participatory approaches and awareness campaigns targeting children, youth and other community members.
Build up quality education programme for childen and adolescent that responses to the their needs including education and psychosocial support (formal and non formal education)
Support for EIE activities and coordinate with local authorities and line ministers to set up education programme for children asylum seekers in Agadez in line with international standards and national programmes
Coordination and Collaboration
- Represent INTERSOS in front of national authorities, UN agencies, NGOs, donors etc. in area of intervention.
- Establish partnership in order to ensure a proper and comprehensive child protection response in the area.
- Ensure a steady and active representation of INTERSOS at cluster level as well as in all other significant meetings, including active participation in relevant working groups (in particular at field level)
- Maintain good and fruitful relationships with relevant local stakeholders, such as local authorities, service providers and community-based associations.
- Participate in relevant interagency rapid assessments if organized
Monitoring & evaluation:
- Ensure monitoring and verification for the targeting of beneficiaries.
- Applying a result-based management approach, monitor the project outcomes, in addition to the outputs and activities, including impact at the household and community level achieved through the project.
- Regular security risk analysis and elaboration of contingency plans together with Head of Mission.
- Detailed security assessment and analysis before any deployment out of duty station.
Required profile and experience
- An advanced university degree in law, International Studies, Human rights, social science, psychology or any related subjects, or in alternative significant professional experience on the above mentioned field.
- At least three years of professional work experience in the humanitarian field as Project Manager and in the relevant technical discipline (CP programming). Demonstrated project management skills (financial management, human resources management, monitoring and evaluation techniques).
- Additional experience with education activities is an asset
- Previous experience conducting training in case management, caring for child survivors, psychosocial support, PFA, and CP information management system desirable;
- Previous experience in project management with UNHCR projects is an asset
- Good knowledge of the procedure of international donors, especially UNHCR desirable
- Strong training and capacity building skills, particularly using participatory techniques for training on different components of protection programming;
- Excellent analytical, report writing and proposal writing skills and computer literate;
- Strong orientation towards evidence-based programming, with skills in monitoring and evaluation and conducting assessments desirable;
- Flexibility, adaptability and high work capacity to ensure activities and technical management/coordination support provided in a timely manner to achieve project results;
- Familiarity with the issues and culture of migrants, knowledge of Niger is considered an asset
- Fluent in French (oral and writing), knowledge of Arabic and Italian is and added value
- Ability to work independently while being a strong team player with proven supervisory skills;
- Comfortable in a multi-cultural environment
- Analytical skills
- Able to ensure quick quality delivery in stressful environment (stress-resilient)
- Very strong interpersonal skills: strong communication and diplomatic skills
- Practical and problem-solver
HOW TO APPLY:
For further information and to apply, follow the link below: https://intersos.knack.com/imp#intersosorg-vacancies/vacancy-details/5c0e828c5da7014f73c2d72b/
In case you encounter difficulties applying through INTERSOS’ platform, you can also apply by sending your CV, motivation letter and 2 references via email to [email protected] , with subject line: “SR-54-830 – Project Manager Child Protection – Niger”.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.
Info su INTERSOS
INTERSOS è un’organizzazione umanitaria senza fini di lucro, che opera a favore delle popolazioni in pericolo, vittime di calamità naturali e di conflitti armati. INTERSOS basa la sua azione sui valori della solidarietà, della giustizia, della dignità della persona, dell'uguaglianza dei diritti e delle opportunità per tutti i popoli, del rispetto delle diversità, della convivenza, dell'attenzione ai più deboli e indifesi.