Job Title: Project Manager – Education in Emergencies and Child Protection
Duty station: Malakal, Upper Nile State – with frequent travel to Juba
Starting date: 01/10/2018
Contract duration: 9 months
Reporting to: Education Coordinator and Protection Coordinator
Supervision of: 40 National Staff (37 CP and 3 EiE)
General context of the project
South Sudan is anchored to the bottom of the world league table for education. Access to education is still a significant issue due to on-going conflict and lack of human and physical resources. More than half of its primary school age children – over 1 million in total – are out of school. South Sudan has a larger proportion of its children out of school than almost any other country in the world, along with the deepest gender inequalities.
INTERSOS has been present in South Sudan since 2006 with a country office in Juba and field bases in six States of the country, namely Jonglei, Upper Nile, Unity, Eastern Equatoria, Western Equatoria and Central Equatoria. INTERSOS focuses on implementing emergency response and relief programs in different sectors: Protection, Education, NFI/Shelter and WASH with a special focus on serving the conflict-affected population, which were forced to displace from their homes by the conflict but also the hosting communities, which often are equally vulnerable.
Both Bentiu and Malakal host biggest IDPs in Protection of Civilian camp in the country. These camps are managed by UNMISS and it allows humanitarian partners to deliver services to the affected IDPs. INTERSOS as implementer of EIE programme in Unity state acknowledges that out-of-adolescents are more vulnerable to violence, abuse, forced recruitment and engagement in life-threatening, and often criminal activities. There is high dire needs in the most conflict affected state such as Unity State(Mayom county, Bentiu town, Rubkona town, Bentiu PoCs, and Mayendit), Upper Nile State (Malakal PoCs, Malakal town, and Abrouc), where INTERSOS project will be in operation. INTERSOS currently supporting 28 schools in Unity State and 8 schools in Upper Nile.
General purpose of the position
The position is aimed at ensuring the prompt and effective delivery of the EiE and CP response in Upper Nile State. Through this assignment the PM have objectives of:
- Contributing to ensuring the children targeted by the project are accessing quality education and child protection services
- Managing the EiE team and CP team to ensure the achievement of project activities as per contractual obligations with UNICEF
- Oversee management duties supported by Juba (payment of staff, training of staff, evaluation and appraisal)
- Ensure EiE and CP sectors of the project are integrated
- Ensure technical quality and support
- Manage project logistics for smooth running of activities
- Manage financial resources available
- Ensure data is collected and shared in a timely manner through reports
Main responsibilities and tasks
General Project Management
- Supervise implementation of project activities in a timely manner
- Develop and manage the implementation of /adherence to work plans and M&E plan
- Manage all financial resources allocated to the project including buget holding responsibility for Upper Nile State production of Financial Plans and cash forecast, verification of budget vs actual on a weekly and monthyl basis
- Manage all logistical procedures to ensure adherence to INTERSOS guidelines and donor requirements
- Ensure bi-weekly reports are submitted to UNICEF at state level as per agreed reporting schedule. Submit reports for both EiE and CP components
- Ensure data is collected regularly to respond to agreed indicators
- Develop budgets and project proposals for the EiE/CP program in Upper Nile State, in close coordination with the Education and Protection Coordinators.
- Carry out rapid assessments as required
- • Develop and update training manuals for staff to meet minimum standards for EiE and CP implementation including teaching methods and pedagogy, mentoring staff on education, PFA, Case Work, protection monitoring and more.
- Ensure 5W matrices are submitted to national clusters as agreed
- Coordinate state level CP sub Cluster by regularly maintaining contact iwth other actors
- Represent INTERSOS with national and state authorities, non-state actors I/NNGOs, donors etc. in Upper Nile State
- Ensure ongoing training of team, re-recruit where necessary
- With administration section ensure procedures are followed fo rstaff, updated details on file, ToRs are in place and followed, payments are followed up on etc.
Required profile and experience
- Degree in Education or Social Sciences/Humanities/Social Work or similar, proven understanding of Education and Protection theoretical precepts.
- Experience in teaching is an asset
- Experience and understanding of CP management, case management is required. Knowledge of PFA and PSS is preferable
- Management of CP or EiE projects is highly desireable
- Experience in integrating CP in EiE is an asset
- Knowledge of the EiE sector standards and education methodologies
- Knowledge of CP standards, SOPs and guidelines
- Experience working in a complex context is required
- Strong skills in communication, mediation and negotiation
- Strong understanding of stakeholders and stakholder management
- Knowledge of proposal development is highly desireable
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Willingness to live in the field including in temporary bases and to accept basic living standards and movement restrictions
- Willingness to work adapt and productively work in insecure, volatile, or harsh environments
- Strong team spirit
- Strong communicator
HOW TO APPLY:
For further information and to apply, follow the link below:
In case you encounter difficulties applying through INTERSOS’ platform, you can also apply by sending your CV, motivation letter and 2 references via email to [email protected] , with subject line: “SR-41-669 – Project Manager – Education in Emergencies and Child Protection – South Sudan”.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.
Info su INTERSOS
INTERSOS è un’organizzazione umanitaria senza fini di lucro, che opera a favore delle popolazioni in pericolo, vittime di calamità naturali e di conflitti armati. INTERSOS basa la sua azione sui valori della solidarietà, della giustizia, della dignità della persona, dell'uguaglianza dei diritti e delle opportunità per tutti i popoli, del rispetto delle diversità, della convivenza, dell'attenzione ai più deboli e indifesi.