Terms of reference
Job Title: Project Manager AICS
Duty station: Beirut with regular visits to Zahle Office and regular presence in the field
Starting date: 01/05/2019
Contract duration: 14 months
Reporting to: Programme Coordinator
Supervision of: Social Workers, Engineers, Technical team
Dependents: According to INTERSOS HR Manual
General context of the project
Following the conflict in the Syrian Arab Republic and the deterioration of the humanitarian situation which is negatively affecting also the neighbouring countries, since 2012 INTERSOS has resumed the operations in the Middle East to contribute towards ensuring emergency relief and social protection assistance for the Syrian refugees fleeing their home in search of safety, with special focus on most vulnerable groups (children, women, elderly and persons with special needs). In Lebanon, INTERSOS has focused its humanitarian response on supporting Syrian families displaced across urban and rural areas, promoting social cohesion between refugees and the host population, with a programme that focuses on a multi-sectorial approach covering Protection (CP/GBV/PWNS/, legal, CBP, Protection Monitoring, PSS), Education, WASH, Shelter and Basic Needs including Cash and Winterization Assistance.
Specifically, in Bekaa and Mount Lebanon governorates, INTERSOS will be implementing, with the support of the Italian Agency for Cooperation to Development (AICS) a project focusing on rehabilitation of school facilities, retention support and PSS activities.
The PSS part of the project will be focusing on innovative techniques for psychosocial support through the utilization of puppetry, IT and photography material and common gardening. A component of hygiene promotion and awareness on the importance of education is also foreseen. The Project will be implemented in close coordination with the Lebanese Ministry of Education (MEHE).
General purpose of the position
The general purpose of the position is to ensure the proper and effective implementation of the project “CO.RE: COmmunity REsilience attraverso un approccio completo di protezione ed educazione per i minori libanesi e rifugiati nelle zone del Mount Lebanon e della Bekaa” funded by the Italian Cooperation.
The Project Manager will be responsible to provide the technical support in order to ensure smooth implementation of the project on the ground.
S/He will be the direct supervisor of the activities and of the dedicated team. In particular, S/He will supervise the PSS expert, the social workers and the engineers; nevertheless s/he will ensure the coordination with UNHCR project ongoing in the area and the coordination with the Italian Cooperation Agency.
Main responsibilities and tasks
Regarding the education and PSS activities s/he will, the Project Manager with his/her team will be in charge of:
- actively contribute to develop the working plan in regards of protection and education sectors;
- be responsible to make sure the coordination between schools and MoE will be set up;
- liaise with the school directors to select the trainers that will conduct the retention activities in the two schools;
- responsible to monitor and evaluate the education activities implemented in the schools;
- select the social workers for the implementation of the PSS activities.
- guarantee the capacity building of the staff;
- communicate to the donor if the project face challenges during the education activities in the schools;
- constantly assess the beneficiaries’ needs in order to fill the gaps and provide an efficient and effectiveness service;
- coordinate with all the other sectors in order to provide an holistic approach;
- coordinate with other different partners and actors working in the same sector or in the same area.
Concerning the rehabilitation component, the Project manager will supervise a technical team composed of 2 shelter officer and will work in close collaboration with the Shelter manager. The main activities will be to:
- assess the structures both for schools and wash facilities before starting the works in order to compile the BoQ and start with the procurement
- accordingly to the internal procedures;
- define the final design of the civil works in the two selected schools;
- design the civil interventions and prepare the Bill of Quantity with the support of the Shelter expert and the Procurement Unit;
- support the procurement Unit in order to open the BID;
- help the Procurement unit to draft the contract for the supplier and guarantee the approval from the head of mission;
- supervise the works and ensure that everything will be implemented in efficiency and effectiveness way;
- guarantee the material’s quality and also the cost effectiveness of the works;
- follow up the works and go to the field in order to ensure the correct implementation of the works;
- propose modifications if the schools need more or different interventions;
- prepare monthly reports on the works’ progress;
- evaluate the technical team by using the Internal Review Process – IRP;
- actively participate to the Working Groups
Required profile and experience
- Master degree (MA or LLM) in International relations and/or Human Rights/ International Humanitarian Law or related subjects
- Minimum of three (3) years of relevant working experience in project management positions, preferably within an INGO.
- Previous experience with projects funded by the Italian Cooperation.
- Previous working experience in Middle East is desirable.
- Strong theoretical, technical and practical background in Project Management
- Strong skills in networking with partners and donor liaison
- Experience in Education projects/rehabilitation projects
- Able to manage and supervise technical teams and to monitor project progresses, challenges and lessons learned, and to react accordingly
- Knowledge of the Lebanese humanitarian context and of the Syrian refugee crisis is an asset;
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage efficiently multiple priorities, deadlines and tasks;
- Solid time-management skills, resourcefulness and attention to details.
- Fluency in English and Italian with excellent verbal and written communication skills (compulsory).
- Knowledge of Arabic is “desirable”
- Excellent team-working and team-building skills, as well as ability to work under high pressure and with flexibility;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and ability to work and integrate in a multicultural team;
- Problem solver, dynamic, mature;
- Confidently able to deal with authorities and donors
- Pro-active approach to work;
- Able to work independently as well as being a strong team player
- Flexibility, capacity of managing stress, good diplomatic skills
- Available to share accommodation facilities when required.
- European Driving license B “desirable”
HOW TO APPLY:
For further information and to apply, follow the link below:
In case you encounter difficulties applying through INTERSOS’ platform, you can also apply by sending your CV, motivation letter and 2 references via email to [email protected] , with subject line: “SR-34-963 – Project Manager AICS – Lebanon“.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.
Info su INTERSOS
INTERSOS è un’organizzazione umanitaria senza fini di lucro, che opera a favore delle popolazioni in pericolo, vittime di calamità naturali e di conflitti armati. INTERSOS basa la sua azione sui valori della solidarietà, della giustizia, della dignità della persona, dell'uguaglianza dei diritti e delle opportunità per tutti i popoli, del rispetto delle diversità, della convivenza, dell'attenzione ai più deboli e indifesi.