Terms of reference
Job Title: Program Coordinator
Duty station: Kabul and Kandahar (with potential visits in other provinces)
Starting date: 01/05/2019
Contract duration: 5 months
Reporting to: Head of Mission
Supervision of: /
General context of the project
INTERSOS is an Italian non-profit humanitarian aid organisation that works to bring assistance to people in danger, victims of natural disasters and armed conflicts. Established in 1992, its actions are based on the values of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equal rights and opportunities for all people and respect for diversity and coexistence, paying particular attention to the most vulnerable and the unprotected. INTERSOS is an independent association which, through its own humanitarian operators, intervenes to effectively answer the needs of people in serious crises situations, mainly in the world’s poorest regions, who are suffering, deprived of rights, dignity and essentials goods. It maintains a flexible operating structure.
INTERSOS has base office in Kandahar with a number of projects and between 100-300 staff and paid volunteers working in Southern Region (depending on the number of projects). INTERSOS is implementing a multi-sector programme covering the sectors of: health, protection, WASH and EiE. in several districts.
The office in Kabul serves for coordination, support and representation.
General purpose of the position
The Programme Coordinator will support the Head of Mission with the overall country programme development and management in accordance with INTERSOS’ country strategy, plans and policies.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Ensuring a quality implementation of the projects in country
- Providing support to Project Managers in project management and project cycle management
- Play a key role in the definition and implementation of the Strategy of the mission, ensuring the smooth running of INTERSOS humanitarian operations in the country
- Monitor, evaluate and support the implementation of the protection, health and nutrition, and WASH programs, participating also in the donor reporting
- Carry out a detailed donor mapping in country
- Lead the development and implementation of assessments, in strong coordination with HoM, MEAL Focal Point and Technical Coordinators
- Lead the development / design of new concepts and proposals under the supervision of the HoM and in cooperation with the Technical Coordinators, and lead the writing of new funding opportunities (writing of the narrative sections and contributing to the design of the budget)
- Upon delegation of HoM, developing strategic partnerships with other international or local organizations, wherever possible.
- Upon delegation of HoM, establish and maintain collaborative relations with relevant donors, local authorities, partners, and other organizations working in the areas.
- Upon delegation of HoM, participating at coordination meetings.
Monthly report to be submitted to the Head of Mission
Required profile and experience
- Advanced degree in social science or any related field
- At least 3 years of professional experience working in humanitarian management and/or coordination of programs and operations
- At least 2 years of direct professional experience leading assessments and writing project proposals
- Prior work experience in INGOs in similar positions (as ax expat)
- Prior experience in working in complex emergency setting, involving conflict and internal displacement.
- Experience in the implementation and/or design of humanitarian programming in the sectors of health, nutrition, protection is desirable.
- Demonstrable experience in humanitarian assessments, programme design and proposal writing
- Strong representation skills
- Excellent computer skills (proven computer literacy is a must).
- Readiness and ability to move around in Afghanistan.
- Readiness to commit and adhere to the values, mission and vision of INTERSOS.
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Strong team spirit, comfortable in a multicultural environment.
- Excellent analytical skills, observation and analysis capacity.
- Ability to plan ahead and output oriented (proactive).
- Able to ensure quick quality delivery in stressful environment (stress-resilient).
- Ability to adhere to deadlines and respect line management.
- Very strong interpersonal skills: strong communication and diplomatic skills.
- Practical and problem-solver.
- Ability to deal with heavy work pressure
HOW TO APPLY:
For further information and to apply, follow the link below: https://www.intersos.org/posizioni-aperte/#intersosorg-vacancies/vacancy-details/5ca4beb53a5c0f0b5351730a/
In case you encounter difficulties applying through INTERSOS platform, you can also apply by sending your CV, motivation letter and 2 references via email to [email protected] , with subject line: “SR-28-997 – Program Coordinator – Afghanistan“.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.
Info su INTERSOS
INTERSOS è un’organizzazione umanitaria senza fini di lucro, che opera a favore delle popolazioni in pericolo, vittime di calamità naturali e di conflitti armati. INTERSOS basa la sua azione sui valori della solidarietà, della giustizia, della dignità della persona, dell'uguaglianza dei diritti e delle opportunità per tutti i popoli, del rispetto delle diversità, della convivenza, dell'attenzione ai più deboli e indifesi.