Job Title: Head of Base / Programme Coordinator
Duty station: Kandahar – Afghanistan
Starting date: 15/02/2019
Contract duration: 8 months
Reporting to: Head of Mission
Supervision of: Project Managers (national/expat), M&E officers (national) 1 Log, 1 Finance, 1 HR and 1 security officer (national)
General context of the project
INTERSOS is an Italian non-profit humanitarian aid organisation that works to bring assistance to people in danger, victims of natural disasters and armed conflicts. Established in 1992, its actions are based on the values of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equal rights and opportunities for all people and respect for diversity and coexistence, paying particular attention to the most vulnerable and the unprotected. INTERSOS is an independent association which, through its own humanitarian operators, intervenes to effectively answer the needs of people in serious crises situations, mainly in the world’s poorest regions, who are suffering, deprived of rights, dignity and essentials goods. It maintains a flexible operating structure.
INTERSOS has base office in Kandahar with a number of projects and between 100-300 staff and paid volunteers working in Southern Region (depending on the number of projects). INTERSOS is implementing a multi-sector programme covering the sectors of : health, protection, WASH and EiE. in several districts.The office in Kabul serves for coordination, support and representation.
General purpose of the position
The Program Coordinator and HoB will support the Head of Mission with the country programme development and management in accordance with INTERSOS’ country strategies, plans and policies, as well as with daily management of Kandahar base.
As Programme Coordinator, he/she is responsible for:
- Ensuring a quality implementation of the projects
- Providing support to Project Managers in project management and project cycle management
- Directly responsible for the line management of the Project Managers (in coordination with HoM), while working collaboratively with the Protection and Health Coordinators
- Play a key role in the definition and implementation of the Strategy of the mission, ensuring the smooth running of INTERSOS humanitarian operations
- Lead the development of new concepts and proposals (writing of the narrative sections and contributing to the design of the budget) under the supervision of the HoM and in cooperation with the Technical Coordinators
- Monitor, evaluate and support the implementation of the protection, education and health programs, participating also in the donor reporting
- Represent INTERSOS in relevant meetings
- Acting Head of Mission in the absence of Head of Mission
As Head of Base, he/she is responsible for:
- Oversee the Administrative, HR and Logistics units in Kandahar
- Ensuring smooth running of the operations
S/he must be able to motivate and lead a diverse staff as well as effectively oversee operations and partnerships.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Provide support and supervision to Project Managers through regular field visits, meeting with the staff and the line managers, supervise the planning of the activities and programs.
- Supervise, plan, monitor and ensure the quality of work throughout the programs.
- Liaise with support departments for a smooth running of the operations
- Human Resources and operational support to Project Managers.
- Play the role of line manager for Project Managers and support them on the operational issues
- Monitoring, evaluation and supervision of project management
- Provide direction to Project Managers on the work planning, budgets burnt rate and all the operational and management issues;
- Support Project Managers in the planning and the monitoring of the achievement of the activities, deliverables and budget.
- Ensure the quality of projects in cooperation with the technical coordinators
- Provide feedbacks on the monthly monitoring tool (PAT) to PMs
- Ensure that the Project Managers produce high quality donor reports and work in close collaboration on their preparation
- Organizing programme meetings on a monthly basis.
- In collaboration with HR and HoM, support the recruitment of new staff
- Build the capacities and supervise the Project Managers
- Responsible of the evaluation and completion of the Internal Review Process (IRP) of all project Managers under line management responsibilities
- Identify capacity building for the national and international staff in relations to programmes (nationalization of the staff is a priority of the mission).
Strategy development and fundraising
- Lead the definition of the programming strategy for INTERSOS with HoM and other Technical Coordinators
- Support the HoM on design of the Afghanistan Country Strategy.
- Lead identification of potential funding opportunities and process of writing proposals.
Representation, Coordination and Advocacy
- Establish and maintain collaborative relations with relevant donors, local authorities, partners, project stakeholders and other organizations working in the project areas.
- Proactively engaging with donors, international NGO and other actors participating at coordination meetings.
- Support technical coordinators in maintaining productive working relationships with Health, Education and Protection Clusters as well as Child Protection and other relevant Working Groups at the regional level.
- Ensuring the participation of INTERSOS to relevant Working Groups and Task Forces (responsibilities can be delegated)
- Briefing Head of Mission, Technical Coordinators and relevant Project Managers on discussions held during working groups.
- Developing strategic partnerships with local organizations, wherever possible.
- Monthly report to be submitted to the Head of Mission as drawn from the PATs and discussions with Project Managers regarding:
- Trends and analysis of the humanitarian context
- Activities and programme achievements
- Submission of reports to donors and/or region and INTERSOS Headquarters
Head of Base
- Oversee the logistics, administration/finance and HR operations in Kandahar base, aiming at improving the operations systems and processes.
- Manage accountability of Admin and Operations actions in Kandahar base.
- Support the security analysis and support the HoM in updating the CPPs in the field base, the SOPs and in any other security-related task.
- Support the HoM on the promotion of accountability and commitment to INTERSOS charter and prevention on power of abuse.
- Cooperate with the Logistic coordinator for any logistic and procurement-related tasks in the field base.
- Cooperate with the Country Finance Officer for the supervision of the financial and administrative aspects in the field base.
- Cooperate with the HR manager for the implementation of the HR procedures at field level.
- Support project field staff in the filed base in the optimal and efficient organization (in terms of administration and logistics) for a smooth implementation of the projects.
- Perform any other related duties as required.
Required profile and experience
- Hold an advanced degree in social science or any related field.
- At least 3 years of direct professional experience working as in humanitarian project management and/or coordination, including financial management responsibilities.
- Prior work experience in INGO setting in humanitarian project management.
- Demonstrate minimum 2 year experience in the implementation of multi-sector humanitarian programming in complex emergencies, including protection and health/nutrition services.
- Prior experience in working in complex emergency setting, involving internal displacement.
- Demonstrable experience in programme management and coordination
- Admin, finance and budget management skills
- Demonstrable experience in establishing and maintaining collaborative relationships with donors and government counterparts.
- Experience with donor compliance and reporting
- Strong representation and negotiation skills
- Demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills
- Excellent computer skills (proven computer literacy, in particular Excel knowledge is a must).
- Demonstrated experience in staff supervision and remote management models
- Strong experience with monitoring tools and systems
- Readiness and ability to move around in Afghanistan
- Readiness to commit and adhere to the values, mission and vision of INTERSOS
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- Strong team spirit, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment
- Excellent analytical skills, observation and analysis capacity
- Attention to detail and structured way of approaching tasks (very organized)
- Ability to plan ahead and output oriented (pro-active)
- Able to ensure quick quality delivery in stressful environment (stress-resilient)
- Ability to adhere to deadlines and respect line management
- Very strong interpersonal skills: strong communication and diplomatic skills
- Practical and problem-solver
- Ability to deal with heavy work pressure
HOW TO APPLY:
For further information and to apply, follow the link below: https://intersos.knack.com/imp#intersosorg-vacancies/vacancy-details/5c050b1acdfeca0e9f6f2965/
In case you encounter difficulties applying through INTERSOS’ platform, you can also apply by sending your CV, motivation letter and 2 references via email to [email protected] , with subject line: “SR-28-819 – Head of Base/Programme Coordinator – Afghanistan“.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.
Info su INTERSOS
INTERSOS è un’organizzazione umanitaria senza fini di lucro, che opera a favore delle popolazioni in pericolo, vittime di calamità naturali e di conflitti armati. INTERSOS basa la sua azione sui valori della solidarietà, della giustizia, della dignità della persona, dell'uguaglianza dei diritti e delle opportunità per tutti i popoli, del rispetto delle diversità, della convivenza, dell'attenzione ai più deboli e indifesi.