Esperienza da 1 a 3 Anni
INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Head of base
Duty station: Qalat, Zabul province
Starting date: 27/02/2023
Contract duration: 12 months
Reporting to: Country Director
Supervision of: Base staff
Dependents: non-family duty station
General context of the project
Over 40 years of conflicts and political turmoil have taken a massive cumulative toll on the people of Afghanistan. A total of 18.4 million people, almost half of the total population, have been estimated by the UN to need humanitarian assistance prior to recent events. Severe droughts are recurring in Afghanistan, currently resulting in nearly 14 million people in acute food insecurity, with over 3 million children facing severe malnourishment. The recent displacement of 550,000 people is adding to an estimated 2.9 million people who remain internally displaced and in need of humanitarian assistance, while winter months are around the corner.
INTERSOS has been working in Afghanistan since 2001, with a country office in Kabul, and field bases in Kandahar and Zabul provinces. In recent years INTERSOS has been focusing its assistance based on integrated community-based approach that includes primary health care (including sexual and reproductive health care), nutrition and protection programmes serving conflict-affected populations, particularly in hard-to-reach areas, with a special focus on socially excluded individuals, including women, children and persons living with disabilities.
With its operational approach and active engagement with the communities, INTERSOS has been enjoying strong community acceptance and operational access. All INTERSOS activities continue to be implemented in Afghanistan at present time, with no operational restrictions and with full inclusion of female staff.
It is widely anticipated that Afghanistan’s humanitarian situation may deteriorate further, given that the international support to key essential and social services – food aid, health, education, and other essential services, is currently frozen. Although humanitarian aid can not replace this gap, the international assistance that prioritises urgent humanitarian needs will be essential.
At the same time, unless the operational environment with all its impediments (including in relation to banking/cash transfers and counter-terrorism measures) does not improve, the response will continue to be a challenge.
Recognising that the humanitarian situation in Afghanistan will require a more intensified international humanitarian assistance, INTERSOS remains in Afghanistan to deliver its ongoing activities, and potentially scale up its response.
General purpose of the position
The Head of Base is responsible of the management of the base in Qalat and act as OiC Kandahar when required . She/he coordinates the support and program team in order to smoothly implement the programme, in accordance with INTERSOS Country Strategy, plans and policies, and in collaboration with all the Coordinators.
The Head of Base supervises the logistics, HR and finance sectors and programming activities in collaboration with the Programme team. She/he is also responsible for the security and safety of all the staff, in close collaboration with CD, and the direct management of bases and offices.
She/he works in close collaboration with Program Coordinator and Programme Managers to ensure a smooth implementation of the projects.
The Head of Base actively participates in the SMT and collaborates with CD, regularly reports, ensuring the adherence of the activities’ implementation to the INTERSOS Chart and the Humanitarian Principle. She/he also collaborates in the design and implementation of the Country Strategy
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Support project field staff in the field base in the optimal and efficient organization (in terms of administration, HR and logistics) for a smooth implementation of the projects
- Conduct weekly meetings with the team to review the planning and discuss the main concerns to focus on for the upcoming period
- Prepare and disseminate weekly sit-rep reports
- Support the CD for the promotion of accountability and commitment to INTERSOS charter and prevention on power of abuse
- Represent INTERSOS in coordination fora at provincial level (INSO, ACBAR, RCT, etc.)
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with key stakeholders (donors, partners, government, etc.) at provincial level
- Actively participate in SMT and any other meetings as organized by CD
- Regularly share information with CD and SMT
- Oversee the logistics in Qalat base, aiming at improving the operations systems and processes and coordinate with the Logistics Coordinator for any logistic and procurement-related tasks in the field base
- Ensure the correct management of logistics and the adherence of procedures in collaboration with Logistics Coordinator, provide feedback on dysfunctionalities, revise, and approve PR/POs
- Work in close collaboration with the support and program staff on proper management of supply chain, and preparation of the procurement plans
- Guarantee the full functionality of the guest house and offices (power, water, internet, phones, spaces, etc.)
- Oversee accountability of administrative actions in the field base
- Coordinate with the Country Finance Coordinator for the supervision of the financial and administrative aspects in the field base.
- Manages and evaluates the performance of the staff directly managed and ensure that evaluation procedures are implemented for the rest of the team
- Ensure the correct implementation of the internal regulations, the recruitment process and all the HR procedures in collaboration with the HR Coordinator, according to guidelines and SOPs
- Support the CD providing accurate security and political analysis of the region
- Update the CPPs and SOPs of the field base and of any area of intervention, in close collaboration with CD
- Create a good network for acquiring and sharing information
- Ensure adequate tracking of national and international staff in the field
- Ensure the close collaboration between Programme and Support teams
- Contribute to the design of the Country Strategy
- Play a key role in the implementation of the Strategy of the mission, ensuring the smooth running of INTERSOS humanitarian operations
- Contribute to the writing of new funding opportunities, contributing to develop/design new concepts and proposals in coordination with the Programme team
- Monitor, evaluate and support the implementation of the activities
- Participate in the donor reporting
- Ensure collection of data for reporting and analysis purposes
- Support the Programme Managers in the planning, and monitoring of the activities and budget, in close coordination with the Programme Coordinator and the Technical Coordinators
Required profile and experience
Advanced university degree in humanitarian field or similar academic areas (experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree)
- At least three years of professional experience in similar position in the humanitarian field in countries outside of his/ her residence, with at least two years as senior management level
- At least two years of working in potentially insecure environment as expatriate staffs, with proven experience of security management, is required.
- Excellent writing, reporting and communication skills.
- Proven experience of managing staff with cultural diversity, with experience of local recruitment and remote management
- Excellent level of understanding in humanitarian and human rights principles and standards
- Negotiation skills
- Very good knowledge on policies and guidelines of INTERSOS and donors
- Excellent analytical skills, observation and analysis capacity
- Very good knowledge of Office Suite and Google Workspace
- Readiness to commit and adhere to the values, mission and vision of INTERSOS
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Pashto written and spoken is preferable (not compulsory)
- Responsive, motivated, good communicator flexibility to respond to changing nature of humanitarian context and operational difficulties
- Ability to communicate openly and maintain good relationship within the team, government and other local authorities, donor, and other stake holders
- Willingness to take responsibility
- Ability to cope with stress, and live in environment with very basic living condition
- Strong team spirit and ability to work in an intercultural environment
- Attention to detail and structured way of approaching tasks (well organized), and to plan ahead and result oriented (pro-active)
- Able to ensure quick quality delivery in stressful environment (stress-resilient)
- Ability to adhere to deadlines and respect line management
- Practical and problem-solver
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to apply following the link below: https://www.intersos.org/posizioni-aperte/missioni/#intersosorg-vacancies/vacancy-details/6367a948ea47d8002192087d/
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, password, citizenship and Skype address), sign-up and apply by attaching your CV and motivation letter in PDF format. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least two references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.