Country Representative and Project Manager
Starting date: February 2019
Expected duration: 12 months renewable
Application deadline: 20th January 2019
Application procedure: send CV to [email protected], reference S4; only pre-selected candidates will be contacted.
Main functions and responsibilities
Country office leadership (25%)
- Lead the elaboration and implementation of the country strategy.
- Recommend and/or determine priorities and supervise the implementation of project work plans as well as supervise and ensure quality of project reporting to donors.
- In collaboration with the relevant staff in GVC Syria organigram, establish annual objectives and targets, performance measurements, standards and results expected to ensure timely and partner oriented deliverables.
- Operate within the defined limits of authority on matters of Finance, Procurement and Human Resources and subject to any limits or conditions that may be imposed as per delegated authority.
- Support HQ in planning, recruiting, managing and developing a flexible workforce with the skills and competencies needed to ensure optimum performance, and ensure gender and geographical diversity.
- Foster a positive work environment, respectful of both men and women, and ensure that the highest standards of conduct are observed.
- In consultation with the Security Officer support the duties on security as outlined in the GVC Security manual.
Partnership development (25%)
- Keep abreast of and assess the needs of the national government and other GVC partners operating in the country, to identify and plan with them areas for leveraging GVC services/competencies in project delivery.
- Build and strengthen strategic partnerships in the country through active networking, advocacy and effective communication of GVC competencies in project service delivery and management to develop opportunities and engagements with new partners.
- Develop a comprehensive partnership and programme plan in line with GVC Country Strategic Plan and Regional Strategies to grow the pipeline opportunities in Syria.
- Examine risks and opportunities presented by the strategic positioning of GVC in Syria and propose appropriate responses to ensure sustainable operations.
- Lead the identification, design, formulation and negotiation of new projects and programs and draft concept notes and project document briefs for discussion with partners.
- Assist the HQ to maintain public/media/donor relations to actively engage their interest/support in promoting and communicating GVC achievements, competencies and interest at global level.
Programme Management (25%)
- Manage and oversee the preparation of programme documents (including business cases/strategies, policy briefs, programme plans and risk assessments).
- Implement internal performance and quality control systems for in-country programmes including tracking, monitoring and reporting on project delivery and financials.
- Evaluate performance to measure efficacy and alignment of the country with the organizational/regional/country strategies and compliance with GVC standards of accuracy, transparency and accountability and to ensure that service delivery reinforces business development objectives.
Representation and advocacy (15%)
- Represent GVC in Syria and be responsible for the management of host country relations and GVC interests in dealing with government, international and local organizations, networks and media in the Area Programme.
- Represent GVC in strategic meetings, conferences, forums and other public events and contribute towards consolidating and raising the profile of GVC.
- Develop and strengthen relationships with local organizations and networks and establish national and regional strategic relations and alliances with partners and civil society working in common cause with GVC objectives.
- Maintain good partnerships relations at National and International levels.
- Promote GVC’s organizational identity and capacity to all stakeholders and partners in Syria and ensure GVC remains relevant to the changing needs of disadvantaged people in the country.
Knowledge management and innovation (10%)
- Contribute to the development and introduction of innovation to ensure GVC is continually incorporating best practices approaches in the delivery of regional portfolio.
- Contribute to the dissemination and sharing of best practices and lessons learned for corporate development planning and knowledge building.
- Contribute to the planning, implementation and organization of strategic capacity building of personnel, partners and stakeholders.
- Establish priorities, in consultation with the Regional Coordinator, for targeted investments in growth and innovation, contribute to identification and implementation of innovation and continuous improvement in support of organizational excellence and world-class performance.
- An advanced university degree or equivalent in the field of Social or Political Science, Development Studies, International relations, Project Management.
- Knowledge of main donors’ policy and procedures (UN Agencies, ECHO, Europeaid, Italian Cooperation).
- Project Development and proposal writing.
- Project Management Cycle.
- Valid and clean driving license.
Essential experience and personal skills:
- Minimum 8 years’ of relevant experience in working with NGO or International Organization with increasing responsibility.
- At least 2 years of previous experience in the same position.
- Fluent in written and spoken English;
- Good communication and leadership skills
- Ability to perform under stress condition
- Capacity to autonomously work and in problems prevention/resolution
- Ability to think strategically and conceptually and to translate these into concrete results.
- Ability to identify, initiate and maintain good relationships with partner organizations, donors and national authorities including building professional relationships with senior decision-makers and influencers / leaders.
- Proven organizational skills and ability to effectively manage multiple tasks while fostering quality, team spirit and positive working relationships with colleagues.
- Strong interpersonal relationships and demonstrated ability to leverage business networks and partnerships for continued growth.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the NGO values and ethical standards.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Computer skills, in particular MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook, MS Project
- Previous experience in Middle East countries would be considered an asset
- Knowledge of Arabic would be considered an asset
- Previous experience in working in the sector of Education, Protection would be considered an asset.
Info su GVC Onlus
GVC is an Italian NGO founded in 1971 active in international development and humanitarian aid projects.
We work to return dignity to entire communities; we fight poverty and injustice so that the fundamental rights of every person can be recognised. In almost fifty years of activity, we have reached the remotest corners of the world, setting up thousands of sustainable development cooperation projects.
During a humanitarian emergency, GVC works to rebuild what has been destroyed and to rekindle growth and sustainable development processes. Our interventions aim to increase the population’s resilience, enhancing a community’s capacity to find, within its fabric, the skills and resources necessary to grow in a self-sufficient manner.
Our staff is the key to achieving ambitious goals. With nearly 770 professionals employed and 250 partners, over the past 12 months GVC has reached 1.4 million people. The organisation’s programmes are co-funded by the most important humanitarian and development aid donors such as EU (DEVCO, EACEA, ECHO, NEAR), United Nations (OCHA, UNHCR, UNDP, UNICEF, WFP, FAO) and individual countries (AICS, JICA, France and Dutch Embassies) as well as by private donors and foundations.
Our programmes rely on highly specialised staff, able to implement tailored methods and practices in order to meet the different needs of beneficiaries and donor requirements.
The challenges that characterise the environments we work in are tackled by creating innovative synergies that draw on teamwork, multi-disciplinary experiences and by pairing international and local expertise.
Respect for individuals and constancy are essential and inalienable characteristics if operating in contexts requiring strong human and professional talents.
Being part of the GVC team means taking part in the development of a dynamic organisation where the contribution of each staff member is promoted and valued, working together towards the collective achievement of our goals and vision.
GVC - Gruppo di Volontariato Civile, è un’organizzazione non governativa laica e indipendente, nata a Bologna nel 1971. È attiva nella cooperazione internazionale con strategie complesse d’intervento: dall’assistenza umanitaria a popolazioni colpite da conflitti e catastrofi naturali alla ricostruzione, dalla sanità alla sicurezza alimentare, dallo sviluppo rurale all’educazione, dalla tutela delle donne all’infanzia.
In oltre quarant’anni di attività GVC ha operato in ogni parte del mondo realizzando migliaia di progetti. Collabora inoltre con enti pubblici, associazioni culturali, cooperative, Ong italiane ed europee organizzando seminari, convegni, mostre e festival, laboratori nelle scuole e corsi di aggiornamento per insegnanti. Produce materiale didattico per l’educazione e realizza campagne di comunicazione su temi sensibili quali le differenze, i diritti umani, la condizione femminile, il commercio sostenibile, la biodiversità.
Desideriamo un mondo migliore, più equo e solidale di quello che vediamo ogni giorno. Cerchiamo di contribuire alla sua costruzione attraverso il rispetto e la promozione dei diritti delle comunità con le quali lavoriamo, in un’ottica di dignità, scambio e reciprocità.
Crediamo nella presa di coscienza, nella capacità di ognuno, di guardare il mondo con occhi nuovi per imparare che il rispetto delle persone e dell’ambiente, in un Nord e Sud fortemente legati, in fondo non è altro che rispetto di sé.
Lavoriamo con gli individui, le forze sociali, i governi e le amministrazioni locali, affinché sia possibile prendersi cura del presente e del futuro, costruendo una cultura di autonomia e di cooperazione che rafforzino l’indipendenza e la libertà delle comunità.