INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Grant Control and Compliance Manager
Duty station: HQ-Rome
Starting date: 19/12/2022
Contract duration: 12 months
Reporting to: Director General
Supervision of: n-a
Dependents: Non-family duty station
General context of the project
Considered the urgency of this position, please note that it might be covered as soon as we find a suitable candidate.
General purpose of the position
The Grants Control & Compliance officer serves as INTERSOS wide focal point for donor grants and related reporting to ensure compliance, due diligence, and efficiency. The objective is to ensure that good quality proposals and reports are submitted to donors on time and that compliance is maintained.
The Grants Control & Compliance Manager support development and implementation in establishing nurture and manage positive, lasting relationships with strategic donors, tailoring INTERSOS internal procedures to suit donors’ requirements.
The Grants Control & Compliance Manager supports the effort of the Grant Unit in his organizational alignment and change management process providing tools and clear process to achieve the Organizational objectives included in the strategic plan.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Ensure that grants are executed in compliance with donor requirements through their full lifecycle from pre-award planning to final reporting.
- Provide, with study and analysis, support and expertise on strategic donors identified by the Organization Action Plan, with the aim to contribute to INTERSOS compliance and accountability.
- Working closely with technical experts, regional grant officers, finance team and MEAL to develop, write and submit proposal narratives and budgets.
- Responsible for the complete and accurate follow up with USAID/BPRM requests (support on proposal development and negotiation, Pre-award phase, award start-up, award provisions, award close-out, post-award requirements, etc.) as well as timely and proper feedback to projects management request for clarifications.
- Ensure day to day support and continued monitoring of the USAID/BPRM project management, acting as the primary point of contact and resource for USAID/BPRM related issues.
- Manage the access to the donor’s portal at proposal, implementation and reporting stage.
- Review and summarize the donor awards, memorandums of understanding, sub agreements, contracts, and donor request letters;
- Facilitate USAID/BPRM audit (Annual Recipient Contracted Audit) in coordination with the Finance and Programme department.
- Participate together with the programme department, to the USAID-BHA meetings for application check-in.
- Provide support for the development and dissemination of new management tools in order to be compliant with USAID and BPRM requirements.
2- External representation
- The Grants Control & Compliance Officer is required to be a point of contact with donor programme specialists and the agreement officer representatives of USAID and BPRM.
- May serve as the point of contact with partners regarding sub-grants contracts and other operational and compliance requirements, as needed.
3- Subaward management
- Support the regional team for the development and negotiations of sub agreements with partners (teaming agreement, partnership agreement, memorandum of understanding) to ensure accuracy, completeness, and compliance with donor requirements.
- Support the regional team in monitoring sub-awardees for compliance with donor requirements, as well as with INTERSOS policies and procedures.
- Verify before submission that USAID/BPRM financial and programme reports adhere to donor standards and requirements in terms of forms, templates and coherence.
- In collaboration with regional teams, prepare and submit the quarterly federal financial reports in Payment Management System (PMS) and SAMS Domestic.
- Provide internal reports for Head of Unit/Director General on quality of reporting to donors.
5- Knowledge management
- Support in drafting memos and other guidance documents related to USAID/BPRM new guidelines and new requirements.
- Collaborate with Human Resources Dep. in ensuring that relevant staff of all departments are informed of USAID/BPRM requirements.
- Support in providing new hires recruited under projects funded by USAID/BPRM with on boarding and induction sessions. S/he prepares grant regulation brief and donor profile and adjust as necessary.
- Conduct regular visits to field offices and project sites with the purpose of developing staff and providing guidance and technical advice on OFDA/BPRM new policies and guidelines.
Required profile and experience
- Minimum 6 years relevant working experience in the humanitarian sector with NGOs.
- Prior relevant professional experience in working in grant management and compliance management.
- Demonstrated experience in staff supervision and remote management.
- Experience with monitoring and accountability tools and systems.
- Knowledge of grant administration, and ability to analyze and respond to grants-related USG issues.
- Understanding of OMB and other compliance regulations, including 2 CFR 200, USAID ADS, and other USG rules and regulations related to humanitarian assistance.
- Willingness and ability to deliver on reporting requirements related to this position.
- Good knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, powerpoint).
- Readiness to commit and adhere to the values, mission and vision of INTERSOS.
- High level skills in both verbal and written standard English and ability to transform documents and reports.
- Fluency in French is desirable.
- Flexibility in terms of working hours,
- Potential travel to field offices less than 20% of the time,
- Strong team spirit, comfortable in a multicultural environment,
- Excellent analytical skills, observation and analysis capacity,
- Attention to detail and structured way of approaching tasks,
- Ability to plan ahead and output oriented,
- Able to ensure quick quality delivery in a stressful environment.
- Ability to adhere to deadlines and respect line management .
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to apply following the link below: https://www.intersos.org/posizioni-aperte/italia/#intersosorg-vacancies-italy/vacancy-details/6372ae83c64188002478130c
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, password, citizenship and Skype address), sign-up and apply by attaching your CV and motivation letter in PDF format. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least two references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.