Esperienza da 1 a 3 Anni
Livello Professionale Intermedio
Causa Emergenze, catastrofi e Protezione civileIntegrazione e Accoglienza Migranti e Rifugiati
Titolo di studio Nessuno
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life- changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries, the IRC aims to restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. In response to the increased refugee arrivals into Europe, the IRC established the program initially in Greece, which was expanded with programs in Serbia and wider Balkans and with programs in Germany. Following a first assessment conducted in January 2017 in Italy and another one in July 2017, several critical protection gaps were identified within assistance provided to refugees in migrants in Italy: mental health and psychosocial support (MHPSS), assistance to unaccompanied children, information provision and legal support. To respond to the identified gaps IRC established a small presence in Italy. Programs in Italy include: Refugee.Info web-based information platform, child protection programming targeting unaccompanied children and victims of trafficking, mentoring programs for the socio-economic inclusion of refugee youth, WPE and education (social emotional learning and healing classrooms).
The Cultural mediator Dari / Pashtu is a full time national staff position based in Italy, in charge of cultural mediation and interpretation in the Friuli / border region of Italy with Slovenia. Reporting to the Roving Field Officer Friuli region, the cultural mediator will assist with outreach activities to new arrivals of refugees / asylum seekers coming from Afghanistan. S/he is responsible for conducting outreach / interpretation activities with beneficiaries along the border and assisting the roving field officer with implementation of protection monitoring and basic emergency support needs.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Information dissemination: deliver up to date and accurate information to Afghan nationals encountered along the border with Slovenia including
- Asylum procedures and rights in Italy
- Information on eligibility and procedures for resettlement in Europe and / or the US
- Availability of services including health, housing, transport etc.
- Psychological first aid: with training and supervision from IRC staff, the cultural mediator will be expected to provide basic psychological support to Afghan refugees facing distress
- Work closely with partners operating in the same area, including assisting Center Penc and local grassroots organizations with cultural mediation / interpretation services.
- Identification of specific needs and challenges faced by Afghan nationals travelling along the eastern Mediterranean route. This information will serve as a basis for constitution of emergency NFI kits and establishing distribution lists.
- Support Roving field officer to prepare procurement of NFI kits as the request of the officer. This may include contacting suppliers, collecting quotes, receiving and stocking procured items, and constitution of the kits
- Support Roving Field Officer in organizing NFIs distributions to refugees at borders in collaboration with local NGOs and volunteer groups
- Identification of eligible beneficiaries for NFI kits and ensuring distribution to selected clients
- Support Monitoring Evaluation and Reporting: Ensure appropriate, timely, and accurate data collection against agreed indicators and using agreed indicator tracking templates to enable both internal and external
- Contribute to narrative monthly reports for IRC’s part of the scope of Reports will include short summary of trends on refugee situation at the border.
Position directly reports to: Roving Protection Field Officer, IRC Italy
This position is based in Trieste or Friuli region, with regular travel along the border to known border crossing areas.
- High school diploma or university degree
- Previous experience in cultural mediation / interpretation strongly preferred
- Experience in conducting protection / protection monitoring activities working with local partners, preferably with a nonprofit in the target region would be an asset
- Excellent communication skills including a good track record of report writing and liaising with local authorities and partners
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact, and diplomacy
- Fluency in spoken and written Dari, Pashto and English (or Italian)
- Report writing skills / experience preferred
- Be based in Trieste / Udine or other location in the Friuli region
- Valid driver’s license, and vehicle available for use would be preferred
- Preference will be given to Afghan nationals
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer IRC considers all applicants based on merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability.