Cesvi has been working in Mozambique since 2000, in partnership with local NGOs, local government authorities and communities.
Since 2009 Cesvi works in Sofala Province supporting rural development and strengthening agricultural systems involving local farmer’s associations, implementing projects funded by the EU and by the Italian Cooperation.
In the aftermath of Cyclone Idai, Cesvi with Concern Worldwide and Welthungerhilfe, Alliance2015 members, decided to share a common strategy and to implement projects in collaboration. The model and approach adopted increased the response capacity. In response to the cyclone and floods, Cesvi-Alliance 2015 is expanding its operation to Sofala Province particularly in Nhamatanda District and surroundings in close collaboration with local authorities including INGC and existing Farmers Associations.
Following joint assessments, Cesvi, Concern and Welthungerhilfe have distributed Shelter/NFI/Wash Kits along with Seeds/tools and a seed protection ration to approx. 8,500 HH in Nhamatanda district, funded respectively by Concern, Welthungerhilfe, IOM, UNICEF, FAO and WFP.
Currently the consortium is implementing an ECHO/Irish Aid/Alliance2015 transition and early recovery programme covering WASH and emergency shelter.
Food Security and livelihood activities are undergoing funding with own funds of the consortium and Valencia Municipality. Furthermore Cesvi is expected to apply for additional funds or call for proposals, in accordance with the country strategy.
As a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT) and Country Management Team (CMT), the Operations Manager (OM) contributes to the development and management of the overall country programme, ensuring effective and efficient systems support to programme implementation in both a development and an emergency context.
Reporting to the Head of Mission (HoM), the OM takes specific responsibility for coordinating and managing the support systems (Finance, Administration, HR, Logistics, Transport and IT).
The OM is aware of, understands and ensures compliance with all of Cesvi’s policies and procedures. Represents Cesvi to relevant external stakeholders as necessary.
Main duties & Responsibilities
Senior Management role:
- Participate in the management of the country programme’s strategic issues through involvement in decision making in the SMT and CMT.
- Participate in the development of Cesvi Mozambique’s Country Strategic Plan (CSP)
- Support the Programme Manager and Head of Mission in the analysis of potential new programme areas, including ensuring comprehensive analyses of logistical and security issues and appropriate mitigating measures to address them.
- Produce strategic analysis and plans for all systems support areas to strengthen the control environment while delivering fast, effective and efficient support to the programmes.
- Ensuring that key Cesvi support policies (Administration, Financial Management, Transport, Logistics, HR Management, IT) are continuously updated as required and appropriate to the context
Management of Systems/ Support Functions
- Oversee the maintenance and running of Cesvi’s premises in Nhamatanda and Beira (offices, stores and residences) ensuring that adequate supplies, staffing and support systems are in place.
- Ensure the leases for all premises are pro-actively managed.
- Take the lead on managing legal risks, ensuring compliance with relevant Mozambique law in contractual and taxation matters, liaising with the Cesvi lawyer on all legal matters.
- Ensure that all issues related to taxes and government authorisations (communications licenses, legal registration, project authorisations etc.) are managed proactively
- Ensure that clear procedures for national and international travel arrangements are in place and are understood and complied with by all staff.
- Ensure that annual support cost budgets (and budget revisions) are complete, realistic and comply with relevant Cesvi and donor requirements
- Support the programme team in the preparation of proposals, ensuring in particular that proposal budgets include complete and realistic support costs.
- Work with the Senior Finance /Admin manager and programme budget holders to ensure management of relevant support department costs in programme budgets and expenditure.
- In conjunction with the Head of Mission and Senior Finance /Admin manager set, manage and monitor the Systems annual budgets for international staff/ Transport/ Administration.
- In collaboration with Log and Transport Coordinator ensure cost effective maintenance of the Cesvi fleet of vehicles
- Ensuring accurate and timely transport reports and any recommendations to CMT
- Assessing the transport requirements of the country programme on a regular basis and ensuring appropriate solutions are implemented Ensuring all offices adhere to the Transport and Fleet Management Policy
- Ensure that logistics systems including procurement, transportation, warehouse storage, control of and reporting on the use of supplies are carried out in accordance with Cesvi and Donor procedures and policies
- Ensuring efficient procurement of goods and services in a transparent and accountable manner, ensuring value for money for the organization and justifiable use of donor funds.
- Preparing and overseeing an annual procurement plan for each programme.
- Establishing and maintaining a Pre-Qualified Suppliers list
- Training, supporting and checking personnel involved in procurement
- Leading on tendering, contracting and international procurement
- Ensuring a clear, well-documented paper trail in systems files
- Implement effective and efficient asset management controls and procedures and monitor these on an ongoing basis
- Ensure that guidance, training and monitoring of all logistical procedures and policies are given to all field locations
Human Resource Management
- ensure all existing and new HR Policies are devised, implemented and reviewed in line with those issued by Cesvi Policy and Mozambique Labour Law.
- Advise the SMT and CMT on strategic HR issues and risks, taking the lead on key HR initiatives.
- Supervise and support the HR and Admin Manager to ensure that HR procedures, including recruitment and performance management, are complied with by all staff and that managers receive the training and support they need to manage their teams appropriately.
- Supervise and support the HR and Admin Manager to develop a training and development strategy and annual plan.
- Promote an attractive working environment based on equality, caring attitudes, and integrity where staff feel safe, valued and respected.
- Manage senior Systems Department staff, contributing to their capacity building and career development through technical support and on-the-job training and coaching, including in particular a thorough induction at the start of their contract.
- Ensure that all department positions have accurate job descriptions and that each member of the team fully understands outcomes, which are expected of them, by setting SMART objectives, and that they are aware of the success criteria relating to their work.
- Ensure that all department staff are aware of and comply with all of Cesvi’s policies and procedures.
- Monitor and review performance of senior Systems Department staff and hold staff accountable for meeting their success criteria; give corrective feedback where required and take decisive action in the case of poor performance.
- Ensure that work within the team(s) is planned and organized in a way which will meet the organization’s needs in the most cost effective manner possible; ensuring that team members are given appropriate workloads and are working efficiently.
- Communication & IT Systems Support
- Supervise the IT staff to ensure that IT systems remain effective and that IT and communication needs of all staff are met on a timely basis
- Ensure that all staff understand and comply with IT policies and procedures
- Stand in for the Head of Mission when necessary to represent Cesvi at relevant government, donor, UN or inter agency meetings.
- With the Head Of Mission, contribute to national-level NGO / UN coordination efforts to facilitate effective humanitarian intervention in the country.
- Take active measures to address equality issues, particularly relating to gender, in programme as well as operational (eg HR) activities.
- Ensure the highest standards of accountability through ensuring good communication and information sharing within and outside the programme and enabling staff, beneficiary and other stakeholders’ participation at all stages of the project cycle.
- Be aware of, understand and comply with all of Cesvi’s policies and procedures (finance, logistics etc).
- Be aware of, understand, comply with and be a model of Cesvi’s HR policies, PSEA policy and Code of Conduct.
- Actively participate in any emergency response if necessary.Undertake other related duties as may reasonably be assigned by the Head of Mission.
- University and/or Master degree in Business Administration, Human Resources, Supply chain management, International Development, International Relations and/or Political Science
- Minimum of 6 years’ experience of job experience relevant to the function, in a comparable environment with non-governmental organizationsof which minimum 2 / 3 years at a senior management level
- Excellent interpersonal skills, cross-cultural communication and ease in managing a multi ethnic team
- Good team leadership and conflict resolution skills, consensus team building and adaptability
- Training / capacity building skills: patience and understanding to work with national staff and to develop its capacity
- Prior experienc in delivering programmes according to tight deadlines
- Excellent organizational and planning skills. Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
- Ability to work on own initiative.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Cross cultural awareness and sensitivity.
- Flexible and adaptable approach to working in a changing environment.
- Willingness to travel frequently to rural field locations and experience fairly basic conditions
- Knowledge of Portuguese written and spoken;
- Knowledge of English written and spoken.
- Computer literacy, particularly in Microsoft Office Programs such as Word and Excel as well accounting packages & other database competencies;
- Prior working experience in Mozambique
- Prior working experience in a post-emergency setting;
- Working knowledge of a range of donor rules and regulations, particularly ECHO, WFP and FAO.
Cesvi has a zero tolerance approach to any harm to, or exploitation of, a child or a vulnerable adult by any of our staff, representatives or partners.
Cesvi commitment to being a safe organization begins with the staff recruitment process which includes meticulous checks, such as criminal records checks or check disclosure of previous convictions, to ensure children and vulnerable people are safeguarded and abuse is prevented. Safeguarding checks are part of the selection process performance.
Unfortunately, due to the high number of applications we receive we are unable to provide feedback if unsuccessful at applicant stage. Only short-listed candidates will be updated on the status of their application.
TO APPLY PLEASE VISIT: https://www.cesvi.org/jobs/operation-manager-mozambique/
Info su Cesvi fondazione onlus
Cesvi opera in tutto il mondo con la convinzione che l’aiuto alle popolazioni più bisognose e colpite da guerre, calamità naturali e disastri ambientali non dia sollievo solo a chi soffre, ma contribuisca al benessere di tutti noi sul pianeta, “casa comune” da preservare per le future generazioni.