Cesvi has been working in Palestine since 1994 and it has developed over the years an expertise in the area of solid waste management, water and sanitation. Cesvi implemented various projects in partnership with relevant actors in the sector and active participation in the WASH cluster and other coordination networks.
The implemented activities are mainly: construction of water treatment systems, pipelines and sanitation facilities, distribution of household water treatment and safe storage units, implementation of behavior change approaches to improve sanitation and hygiene in remote areas. Development or improvement of solid waste management systems – including strategies and plans – construction of facilities (e.g. transfer stations) and implementation of hygiene awareness campaigns.
Cesvi is currently implementing projects in the Governorates of Tulkarem and Hebron, in East Jerusalem, in Shufat Refugee Camp and Gaza, in consortium with local and international partners.
The ongoing projects are funded by AICS (Italian Cooperation), EU, UNICEF and the World Bank.
The service contract “Solid Waste Management (SWM) in West Bank Refugee Camps Study” funded by the European Commission aims at improving the environmental health and sustainability of SWM efforts in the refugee camps across the West Bank, (Bethlehem, Ramallah, and Nablus ) assessing the cost effectiveness and efficiency, as well as service level, of the solid waste management system for refugee camps and surrounding areas and recommending improvements of institutional and financial arrangements, including private sector involvement as appropriates.
In particular, this project aims at the achievement of the following results:
Feasibility Study on integrated solid waste management in the West Bank focusing on Bethlehem, Ramallah, and Nablus governorates, comprising of:
- a legal/regulatory/institutional as well as a technical/financial analysis
- a mapping of service providers
- a qualitative assessment of services provided & a comparative cost analysis
- identification of main challenges and formulation of recommendations
Implementation Plan, Business Models and draft Project Proposal for integrated SWM operations in the West Bank focusing on Bethlehem, Ramallah, and Nablus governorates:
- an overall plan to implement the various recommendations of the aforementioned study
- Three business model reports
- a draft project proposal
The collaboration will start in April 2019
The main duty station will be in Jerusalem, with frequent travels across the West Bank (Bethlehem, Ramallah, and Nablus ).
The SWM Expert will work under the supervision of the project manager and s/he will coordinate his/her work with other experts.
Main tasks and responsibilities:
- Review information and data available in literature, including documents collected from various stakeholders;
- Identify the key features of the SWM system in the areas of interest, supporting and coordinating data collection, processing and analyzing information and data collected;
- Finalize the qualitative assessment of the service, support the comparative cost analysis, identify main challenges and formulate recommendations
Contribute to the development of the Feasibility Study according to the previous points, writing the related parts;
- Contribute to the development of an overall implementation plan – especially writing technical components – according to the previously-identified recommendations;
- Contribute to the development of three business models – including the writing of related reports – for the implementation in details of the recommendations;
- Contribute to the development of a project proposal in accordance to one of the business models developed;
Provides internal reports on work progress;
- Actively participate in technical coordination networks, in coordination with the HoM;
Liaise with relevant stakeholders and donors
- University degree on civil or environmental engineering or similar field.
- Minimum 8/9 years of experience in waste management projects
- Strong computer skills, especially in Word, Excel and Outlook
- Ability to manipulate and work on AutoCAD, GIS and other engineering software’s
- Excellent Reporting skills in English
- Specialization in waste management
- Good organizational and project management skill
- Solid diplomatic and leadership skills in managing a variety of internal and external relationships, especially with partners, and acting effectively as an integration team member
- Demonstrate attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, to meet deadlines and carefully store project files and documents
- Self-motivated, flexible, resilient, able to take initiative and work independently
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills
- Prior experience in working with Palestinian refugees;
- Prior experience in OPT and/or other complex areas in the Middle East;
- Knowledge of Arabic
Unfortunately, due to the high number of applications we receive we are unable to provide feedback if unsuccessful at applicant stage. Only short-listed candidates will be updated on the status of their application.
TO APPLY PLEASE VISIT: https://www.cesvi.org/jobs/swm-expert-opt/
Info su Cesvi fondazione onlus
Cesvi opera in tutto il mondo con la convinzione che l’aiuto alle popolazioni più bisognose e colpite da guerre, calamità naturali e disastri ambientali non dia sollievo solo a chi soffre, ma contribuisca al benessere di tutti noi sul pianeta, “casa comune” da preservare per le future generazioni.