Closing date: 31/08/2019
Starting date: October 2019 (subject to funds availability)
Contract duration: 12 months with possibility to renew
Duty station: Kapenguria, West Pokot Kenya 60%; Nairobi, Kenya 40%.
Report to: Regional Coordinator
CEFA – the European Committee for Training and Agriculture (Comitato Europeo per la Formazione e l’Agricoltura) is an Italian NGO, which was established in 1972 and is currently active in 10 countries across Africa, Latin America and Europe. CEFA lays its foundation on the principles of solidarity and cooperation between the different regions of the world in the name of Justice, Human rights and peace. CEFA believes in the development of communities and local institutions, aiming to improve families’ living conditions and communities’ economies through capacity building, awareness raising and advocacy for the protection of vulnerable person’s and their fundamental human rights.
CEFA has been working in Kenya since 1992 in Meru, Homa Bay and Kitui County, with actions mainly focused on:
- Food Security, livelihood and resilience
- Rehabilitation of irrigation infrastructures and canals
- Training on good agricultural practices, drought-tolerant crops, honey value chain
- Market research and pre-feasibility studies
- Fostering links to the market through public-private partnerships
- Support of input suppliers and market
- Introduction and adoption of alternative grain storage systems
- Emergency interventions through cash for work, vouchers/seed distribution
Objectives and general characteristics of the position:
CEFA is part of a consortium that has been recently awarded a 4 years project in West Pokot by the European Union. The main focus of CEFA intervention is: canal schemes construction; honey and mango production; establishment of tree nurseries; horticulture; Group Saving and Loans.
The livelihood project coordinator:
- (S)he is in charge of the management of CEFA led component of the project Support to Resilience for Sustainable Livelihoods and the implementation of related activities.
- (S)he is responsible for the overall supervision of administrative and financial aspects, logistic, security, Human Resources, quality Control of CEFA component of the project.
- (S)he ensures that the project is implemented according to the contract signed with the donor, its rules and indications (e.g. visibility, documentation, monitoring and evaluation, reporting etc), MoU signed with the leading agency and other consortium members and CEFA’s internal procedures.;
- (S)he is directly in charge of the management of the EU funded project in West Pokot included (and not limited to) the following main tasks: startup of the project, setup of the office/Gh in Kapenguria, predisposition of work plans, M&E plans, financial forecast plan, recruitment and coordination of all the project staff, supervision and coordination of the implementation of the activities, narrative and financial reporting;
- Under the supervision of the RC, (s)he recruits and evaluates the staff based in the projects sites; (S)he promotes technical, administrative and managerial training of the project staff;
- (S)he ensures the proper planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of CEFA project in West Pokot;
- (S)he ensure sound Technical support and guidance in the field of food security and livelihood to all the consortium member;
- (S)he is responsible for the effective and efficient management of CEFA Office and/or Guest House in Kapenguria and for the adequate maintenance of CEFA assets/properties;
- (S)he is in charge of the Security of the staff in West Pokot;
- (S)he supports the RC in the identification and formulation of new project proposals in the area/region.
- (S)he facilitates the synergies, collaborations and sharing of best-practices among CEFA project areas in Kenya to effectively and efficiently implement CEFA’s activities (food security, livelihood, agriculture).
Duties and Responsibilities:
(S)he is responsible of the:
- Management of the entire expatriate and local staff of CEFA project in West Pokot, ensuring the respect of all security regulations, in coordination with the Security focal point on the ground and the RC;
- Provision of high level liaison and coordination services with other NGOs that make up the consortium and other relevant stakeholders, such as local authorities, and representation of CEFA in key meetings;
- Provision of high level technical support in the field of food security and livelihood;
- Daily project implementation and follow-up on activities at field level;
- Management of the project budget and the fund requests to Nairobi Regional Office and/or HQ, administrative and financial management of the project and collection of the necessary documentation for the financial report;
- Formulation/update of the projects work plans, monitoring tools and regular reporting according to requirements of the donor and CEFA;
- Draft/revision and submission of periodical project reports required by the donors, partners and CEFA HQ;
- Procurement of goods, services and constructions according to CEFA and Donor procedures with the support of the Procurement Officer and Regional Administrator;
- Information to the RC of any change/problem about the project, that may compromise the observance of the contractual bonds and/or the staff management and/or the presence and the good name of CEFA in the area/country;
- Management of mission from the donor, CEFA staff from HQ or Regional Office and any other relevant stakeholder in the Country;
- Identification, set up and maintenance of the office/guest house in Kapenguria;
- Identification and promotion of fundraising opportunities to co-fund the project with consequent formulation of concept notes and project proposals;
- The availability to perform any other task assigned by the Regional Coordinator in line with the profile.
- University degree in Agriculture, International Relations, Project Management, Business Administration, Social Sciences or a related field;
- Minimum 4 years’ experience of project management in a development or humanitarian context;
- Previous experience of at least 2 years in managing projects in the field of food security, livelihood and agriculture and/or water (irrigation);
- Proven leadership skills and demonstrated experience recruiting, developing, and managing/mentoring staff;
- Strong financial management abilities;
- Fluency in both oral and written communication in English;
- Excellent analytical and self-motivation skills, excellent advocacy and persuasion skills, able to think critically and motivate the team;
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision;
- Prior experience successfully managing culturally-diverse teams to achieve project outcomes;
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and with minimal support;
- Good command of MS Office applications and other computer programs;
- Previous experience working in complex and volatile environments with limited facilities;
Desired skills and experiences:
- Master’s degree in a relevant field (agriculture, food security, livelihood related issues);
- Previous experience working in Kenya and/or in ASAL areas;
- Good technical knowledge in the fields of agriculture and/or water (irrigation), better if at university level is a strong plus;
- Knowledge of Italian language is an asset;
- Previous experience in management of EU funded projects is a STRONG asset.
To apply please send your CV and cover letter, along with three (3) referees to the following email address [email protected]; cc: [email protected] with the subject: NAME- Livelihood Coordinator West Pokot, by 31th August 2019.
Only shortlisted candidate will be contacted.
Info su Cefa
CEFA il Seme della Solidarietà è un’organizzazione non governativa che da 45 anni lavora per vincere fame e povertà. Aiuta le comunità più povere del mondo a raggiungere l’autosufficienza alimentare e il rispetto dei diritti fondamentali (istruzione, lavoro, parità di genere, tutela dei minori).